1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ritek 4x only burning at 2x

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by grantr, Dec 14, 2004.

1. grantr

grantr Member

I hope someone can answer this for me. I recently bought 50 Ritek 4x DVD-R but when I use them in my burner LG 4040B they will only burn ay 2x..no option to change burn speed. Every other lot of Ritek 4x I've had have been fine. When I saw the disc information in DVD decrypter I noticed it said they were G05 and not G04 like I'm sure my previous ones have been. Does anyone know what the problem may be or could it just be a faulty batch.

2. tomripley

tomripley Member

3. grantr

grantr Member

Thanks, I tried what you suggested but it didn't work..still only have the option to burn at 2x. Strange that G05 is 8x because they definitely say 4x on them. Oh well guess I'll just have to use them up and take my luck with another lot. Just a query, what exactly does a firmware upgrade do..is it meant to make my 4x burner burn at quicker speeds?

4. juuso17

juuso17 Member

The firmware is more like "a list" of media with burning speeds. Disks with higher burning speed (4x and more)must be on the list before they can be burned with that speed (or drives maximum speed, which in your case is 4x). In 4040B Ritek G04 is recognized by firmware A304, G05 is not, hence it burns only 2X.

I hope there will be newer firmware soon. I have the same problem, and i want to keep my LG.
    Edit: typo

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004