1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ritek discs? I’ve been ripped off, too...

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by timcupery, Aug 28, 2003.

1. timcupery

timcupery Member

I just bought a 100-pack of cd-r discs from str8buy.com, supposed to be Ritek cd’s (the main reason I bought them). Order listing:

Ritek Brand 80min RITEK80100 1 25.00
    Silver/Blue CD-R BLANK CD
    MEDIA STORAGE (100pcs)

Got the discs yesterday, and tested a couple with CDR Identifier, and got the following:

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
    Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.82MB (79m 59s 71f / LBA: 359846)

Now, I’ve never had trouble with CMC-produced discs, but they’re not what I ordered, and not rated nearly as well. So I’m a bit disappointed. Since I never get errors when burning discs (i.e., I’ve never re-ripped a track from an audio cd and had it be different than the original sourcefile, or had a data file come off the disc in anything other than the exact form with which it went onto the disc from my HD), durability is more of an issue for me. My initial impulse is to make a stink and return the discs, and get my money back (including for the $10 shipping).

Thoughts? Comments?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I guess it would be a balance between the amount of hassle that would take and how much time you can wait before you need them. Personally I have very good experiences with CMC and very poor experiences with Ritek but that must be because I have older Ritek discs.

3. timcupery

timcupery Member

So, with how much weight should I take the firm negative recommendation about CMC discs in the two "read this first" threads? Have they gotten better, too? Again, I've never had trouble with any types of discs (and I've used a lot), so don't know how big of an issue this is. Thanks,

tim

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well i dont know about the negative reccomemndations .... but all the CMCs i have are pretty good. I may have gotten lucky of course.