1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ritek G-04

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by sonik, Sep 3, 2004.

1. sonik

sonik Member

I keep hearing that Ridata G-04 is top notch media to be using. I have a liteon sohw 832s (my second) and i am almost finished backing up my small collection of dvd's on the G-04's with it. I can faithfully say that 95% of the back ups freeze and or pixelate. I took the drive back , explained the problem, they exchanged it and will i was there picked up a new 80gig HD and additional 512 stick of ram. I installed the gear updated the firmware for the drive,...and guess what still got the issue. so i tested further by changing out my stand alone dvd player for another,.....more cash down the crapper.
    Can anybody shed some light on what the problem might be?.. i have about 12 disc's left of riteks on the spindle. i have used dvd identifier and they are the real deal.

help me keep my sanity and my hair.......

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

What programs are you using to encode and burn?

Try these method's

Method's
    1. burn at a slower speed
    2. make sure your original is clean
    3. make sure no other program's are running in the background
    4. Leave your computer alone while encoding and burning

3. sonik

sonik Member

i use shrink and dvd decrypter, burning @ 2x, with nothing running what so ever,not touching the pc 'till its done....

What is the possibilty of getting a "duff" spindle of discs?. Is it normal to have tiny bubbles in the sides of the discs?....when i hold the spindle up looking @ the discs i can see the bubbles. this being the first spindle i own i cant compare it with another

possible problem?

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

this happend when I added a new hard drive. The reason my movies failed at first was that I was trying to send my movie files to my new harddrive without a file folder to go to. Is this what your trying to do? or try sending it back to your c:/ drive

Don't know if that will help but let me see what I can digg up.

Do you geta error log?
    Oh, my riteks are like yours except I don't get coasters.
    Ill be right back.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    [bold]Only bad guy's lie...So ask me no more qustions and Ill tell you no more lie's.[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  5. sonik

sonik Member

i am just keeping the newly created iso's on my desktop, from there i open decrypter select source file "yadda yadda img" from desktop... then burn.

I have a pioneer dvd rom i took out when i bought the liteon. should i put that back in so i can read from the pioneer and burn immediately after with the liteon??

6. mrman

mrman Regular member

try searching for other people with this problem because i have heard lite on drives do not work very well with ritek G-04s

Hope this helps:)

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

8. michigan

michigan Guest

Ihave a liteon (I don't recall the model it's a 4x multiformat)and use Ritek almost always and I have hot had one problem that I didn't cause.

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Moved to appropriate forum.

10. michigan

michigan Guest

Thanks vubal,
    Flex that mod muscle :)

11. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

No problem ;)

12. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

Do you have you virus scan turned off because I know that can cause these problems if you have it on.

13. sonik

sonik Member

thanks to everyone who has given their two bits so far to help me with this problem.
    This is where im sitting so far; I remember when i bought the liteon drive they gave me 2 free blank media, 1 "liteon" DVD-R, and 1 "Taiyo yuden DVD+R". I put the "liteon" disc into dvd identifier and it turns out to be a RITEK G-04 !!! So so i burnt a backed up img file @ 4x and the disc turned out flawless! So i am back to thinking i got a real crappy spindle of discs.
    Im gonna try turning off my antivirus and burn the same file again with the dodgy G-04's.
    keep ya posted

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sonic
    I have the same problem w/ some of my g04's. Lite-on's actually prefer dvd+r media. Something about them useing a running OPC to adjust for wobble on dvd-r media. I have switched to ricohjpn media and have had no problems. I'm also useing a bitsetting tool to booktype the media to dvd-rom. I can even copy the g04's, that were freezing on my standalone player, to a ricohjpn, useing nero copy disc, and they will play perfect. You might give this a try. I'm by no means a pro but I'm haveing very good success w/ the ricoh's. I think the ritek g04's quality is starting to vary from batch to batch. My first 25 pk all burned flawlessly but my next 50 pk has been hit and miss.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 Ghz 512 MB PC133 Ram
    Lite-On SOHW-832S f/w VS0B DVDRW
    18" lcd monitor
    Win XP Nero 6.3.1.20
    DVDXCopy Xpress 3.2.1 DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink 3.2
    I know not too impressive saving my money[/small]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  15. sonik

sonik Member

thx Mort,
    i am gonna try the taiyo DVD+R that i have and look into this "bitsetting tool" you speak of. I have read about it @ cd freaks but still vague on its actual purpose.
    What is the compatibility of DVD+R and standalone players?

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You should have excellent results w/ the ty media since it is the best you can buy but also one of the most if not the most expensive medias out there. Most new standalone players will play either. Dvd+r media booktyped dvd-rom should be as compatable as dvd-r media but without any altercations most folk will tell you that dvd-r is more compatable. Either way always stay with a quality grade media for vidio reproduction. Here is a good guide. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm Here is an article that will help explain bitsetting. http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 Ghz 512 MB PC133 Ram
    Lite-On SOHW-832S f/w VS0B DVDRW
    18" lcd monitor
    Win XP Nero 6.3.1.20
    DVDXCopy Xpress 3.2.1 DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink 3.2
    I know not too impressive saving my money[/small]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004