1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ritek G04 blank media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Mort81, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I am going to purchase some Ritek G04 dvd-r media and I was wondering if it makes any difference which style I buy as far as quality goes. I was going for the silver matte, but meritline is out of these right now. They recommend the branded style. There are a lot more reviews for the silver matte, although most reviews for both are 5 stars. The branded style are a few pennies cheaper as well. I'm tired of spending good money on junk media (memorex). Thanks, your opinion will be appreciated.

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

the ritek branded is what I get all the time, and work's perfectly for me (plus thier cheaper than Memorx).
    Go get'em Tiger!

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

geestar 20, thanks for your reply, I'll give the branded a try.

4. stewart81

stewart81 Member

Try the Ridisc brande Riteks . They are the bizz

5. stelfc25

stelfc25 Guest

for 4 speed i always use arita greens
    for 8 speed i always use ridisk ritek the price is droping all the time.
    at a push i will use oem ritek overprint although you do get a few ink blemishes per 100

6. GostRider

GostRider Member

Whoa there mort81 , I've been using momorex +r with no problems but I just got a stack of the g04's and already have 2 coasters . I might be able to swap/sell you my stack for the momorex . I just need to do a little more research on the error messages .

What kind of burner are you using ? Mines TDK

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm useing a lite-on ldw 451s @ldw 851s dvdrw combo drive. I'm having much better luck since I downloaded f/w GSC2 and updated my drive to a ldw 851s. Something to note the memorex media is made by CMC which is at the bottom of the list in the worst quality catagory on media reviews.

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

When anybody recommends Memorex, they're not really recommending Memorex. In actuality they're recommending whoever actually manufactured the batch of Memorex that they used at the time since Memorex buys from different manufacturers and puts their name on it.

Memorex has been known to put out good stuff at times and junk at other times :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  9. actech

actech Regular member

so any ritek are good? im used to best buy 4-5 brands with 1 or 2 types each. there were more types of riteks than best buy carries total. are the $.58 as good as the $.99 ? can't give me that many choices. any recommendations?

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Everybody I've asked on 3 different forums have said Ritek G04 or Verbatum are the best medias. They also rank very good in most media comparison reviews.

11. Nephilim

Not quite. As I understand it, the batches that aren't up to grade A standards get sold as Grade B or C and this is where dirtbags like to buy the lower grades and then pass them off as Grade A. Overprints are lower grade as well.

It's best to stick with something that is actually branded as Ritek or is known to be Ritek Grade A like RiDATA or Arita.

12. actech

actech Regular member

thank you
    kurt

13. GostRider

GostRider Member

Ok , so what do you suggest ? I bought the ridata to eliminate any possible problems but I've already been thru 2 coasters . I was thinking the memorex was just more compatiable with my burner . I really don't want to waste anymore of the ridata but I keep getting I/O errors .

14. Nephilim

When I recommend media it's just a general recommendation as to what may work best. If you find a certain brand/type media that works great with your burner and setup then I'd say stick with it, nothing wrong with that :)

As for your remaining Riteks, burning slower could definitely help and updating the firmware for your burner can help too if you haven't already done so.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  15. GostRider

GostRider Member

Well if memorex disk's are going to be inconsistant then it defeats my goal of "reliability".

I'll try the speed thing .... thanks

16. hm1

hm1 Regular member

ARita, and ridiscs everytime

The ritek brand rocks but beware of false disc market as Ritek.

Grade A Ritek discs are pound for pound the best