1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ritek go5?how good is it?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by tobi2yul, Mar 6, 2005.

1. tobi2yul

tobi2yul Regular member

iv burned nba street 3 with my ritek go5 orange tops.it plays fine except there is some lag in the audio and the menu loadin is slow. i set it to burn at 1x with dvd decrypter but it stil moves up to 2.4x. just wondering if any culd help me. Thanks very much.

2. kaosX

kaosX Regular member

i heard there were problems with the G05's.

anyways, yudens at supermediastore are 29 shipped a 100 pack.

3. abx

abx Guest

I use taiyo yuden +r 8x and burn at 2x. I don't have any problems.

4. Raven2005

Raven2005 Guest

G05's are decent media, setting your burn speed lower DOES NOT mean a better burn, burn at the media's set speed. I burn at 8x and 16x with TYG 02's with no problems.

5. hursty

hursty Active member

thousands of others,including myself would disagree
    burning at x16 is pure madness,you have either been very lucky,or not completed any of the games you have burnt

6. Raven2005

Raven2005 Guest

It is FAR better to burn at the rated burn speed than going over or below it. I have a PX716 using MCC 02 16x disc.......with virtually FLAWLESS burn tests. My point is that although people think burning a rated 8x disc at 2x for example will give them better burn results is really not true in all cases. If you are having problems with media burnt at higher speeds that has more to do with the media code your using and the "eye" reading them.

7. HeyYoWL

HeyYoWL Member

Actually, no, I think it might have to do with your burner. I use DVD Decrypter, Ritek G03 DVD+R's, and my burner is a Pioneer DVR-108. I've ALWAYS burned my ISO's at 16x and I have yet to have a bad burn. The only screw up I had was with Xenosaga because I didn't realize that it was DVD9 and tried to burn it on a regular 4.7gb disc, but that has nothing to do with burn speeds. I'd hardly call it luck if all my burns were 100% working with no problems at all.

8. hursty

hursty Active member

my burner i also a pioneer 108,i stick to x2/x4

how do know you have never had a bad burn?

have you finished all the games you have played?

i am not going to get drawn into bickering about burn speeds,if you burn at x16,then thats entirely your choice
    like i said,others will disagree.

disc's with x16 burn speeds,isnt the recommended burn speed
    its just the maximum capabilties of the actual disc

9. tobi2yul

tobi2yul Regular member

hey thanks every1 4 the replies. been really helpful.although always thought lower speed meant better burn............

10. hursty

hursty Active member

dont listen to them,stick to low burning speeds
    burning at x16 is NOT recommended
    dvd will burn at this speed,but will they work 100%?
    i doubt it.
    when playing and completing a full game,the likelyhood of errors on the disc is greatly increased.jusy try burning a movie at this speed....
    check the movie all the way through,the chances are there will be errors somewhere along the line
    anyways x16 media is more expensive,and the range is limited

regards hursty

11. HeyYoWL

HeyYoWL Member

Most of them actually. The only ones I haven't finished are the sports ones because I don't have an interest in finishing a whole season. I just have them for when other people come over. Otherwise, RPG's, Fighting, etc, they all worked 100%. If you're not even going to use the max speed of your burner, why get one that fast anyways? :p I burn at slower speeds if I'm making a storage disc. But for ISO's, always at max speed. I've been doing it for years with CD's, and I'm still doing it for DVD's. No problems yet.

I don't see why you would burn at such slow speeds when it's uncessary. Have you tried burning at 16x yourself?

12. hatebreed

hatebreed Guest

how about the ritek g04 media is it a good media??...

13. romero

romero Regular member

As my opinion I would say it's the best one. When talking about best medias you must remember that all PS2's seems to be exiles, it's not only about different versions because even within them there might be very big differences. We have had many discussions about medias at the finnish afterdawn, and it was kind of odd to find out that for example my PS2 won't read Princo's or Verbatim's DVD-R's which were the most greeted ones by several forum users.

And sorry about my english which might be bad sometimes, I hope that you get what I'm trying to say.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  14. hursty

hursty Active member

i dont even buy x16 media
    for one there are not many different types available,i have only seen them on dvd+r type
    second,they are more expensive than x4 media
    so why would i waste my money?
    i have tried x8,only to find games,when played have small glitches in them,
    burning at such high speeds increases the chance of buffer underun
    it only takes about 15 mins to burn a dvd off
    and for me to burn at x4 max is good enough

and as for burning with cd's,that a little bit different to burning dvd

15. mingster

mingster Member

I use ritek g05s, burnt at 4x (cos i cant get them to burn any slower) and usually they work fine. Some games will run a bit slower than the originals though, such as, in my case, san andreas and nfsu2.

16. HeyYoWL

HeyYoWL Member

I question where it is you go buy your media then. I go to places in my area. In particular, Canada Computers. Here's their price listing for spindles:

4x 4.7GB DVD-R 25-pack spindle $6.99
    8x 4.7GB DVD-R 25-pack spindle $10.99
    Lamaxa 4x DVD-R 4.7GB 25-pack Spindle $9.99
    Lamaxa 4x DVD+R 4.7GB 25-pack Spindle $10.99
    HP 8x DVD+R 4.7GB 50-pack Spindle $28.99
    Onidteck 4x DVD-R 4.7GB 50-pack w/ Inkjet printable $14.99
    Pine 4x DVD-R 25-pack SPECIAL $15.99
    Pine 4x DVD+R 25-pack SPECIAL $16.99
    Princo 2x DVD-RW 50-pack Spindle SPECIAL $30.00
    Princo 4x DVD-R 100-pack Spindle $68.00
    SmartBuy 4x DVD-R 50-pack Spindle $24.99
    SmartBuy 8x DVD-R 50-pack Spindle $22.99
    SmartBuy 8x DVD+R 50-pack Spindle $22.99
    [bold]RiDATA 8x DVD+R 50-pack Spindle $25.99[/bold]
    RiDATA 8x DVD-R 50-pack Spindle $24.99
    RiDATA 16x 4.7GB DVD+R 25-pack Spindle $16.99
    RiDATA 4x DVD-RW 25-pack Spindle $18.00
    Sonic 4x DVD+R 100 Spindle $64
    Sonic 8x DVD+R 100 Spindle $104
    Vakoss 4x DVD-R 4.7GB 25-pack Spindle $9.99
    Vakoss 4x DVD+R 4.7GB 25-pack Spindle $10.99

The one in bold are the ones I buy. $25.99 for 50. When I bought them they were on sale for $22.99. Point is, that's roughly $0.60 a disc. That's not expensive at all.

Fair enough, if you want to settle for that slow speed, that's fine, I do that when I'm burning backups of files on my hard drive. Just don't see a point for PS2 games when I've had absolutely no problem so far.

Just out of curiousity, what firmware are you using anyways? What kind of glitches are you talking about?

I realize that, I wasn't trying to compare them, I was just saying what I do when I burn CD's is all.

17. hursty

hursty Active member

my firmware is the latest 1.18
    as you can see on the list,only 1 available for the x 16
    thats what we are talking about yes?
    they are on dvd+r,which does not suit everyones ps2 version,and they probaby wont play movies on a standalone dvd player

i buy my dvd from
    www.svpcommunications.com
    it works put cheaper than $.60 in english

doesnt somehow add up?
    unless the firmware upgrade allows you to burn x8 dvd at x16??

with regards hursty

18. HeyYoWL

HeyYoWL Member

Maybe it's your firmware that's causing the glitches? Still wondering what problems you're getting with burning at 16x. I forget which version it is I have (at school right now so I can't check), but it makes the drive region free and takes away the burning speed limit of the drive (it's not an official firmware though, and it's definitely not 1.18).

That's fine, but it works for me. Anyways, I didn't say it absolutetly had to be 16x. My original point was I burn at 16x, the max speed of my burner. All I'm saying is that you don't necessarily need to burn at the slowest speed for your games.

Actually, some higher quality DVD's (and even CD's from my experience) allow you to burn at faster speeds than is rated label. Of course you can do this with poorer quality DVD's as well, but then you just end up with bad burns (learned that lesson well from a few coasters I got when using the cheap Onidteck DVD-R brand). Taiyo Yuden for example, are known to allow this. Here are other people who have been able to burn at higher than the rated label speeds:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=122768

I know for sure it's burning at 16x too because it takes rougly 7 minutes to burn. If I were burn a 4.7GB DVD at 8x, it should take around 8-10 minutes.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=665

The list of time it takes to burn DVD's are near the bottom of the page.

So yes, I can burn at 16x no problems, and I don't need to buy 16x media to do it. Ritek g03's burn fine at 16x, and if I were someone whose player or PS2 doesn't support DVD+R, I could easily just get the 8x DVD-R for $1 cheaper.

19. hursty

hursty Active member

#1 there is nothing wrong with my dvd burner
    #2 i dont want to burn @ x16
    #3 using unofficial firmware upgrades is not something i would do,nor recommend
    #4 if these games are for your own personal use,why take the risk of burning @ such high speeds?

20. HeyYoWL

HeyYoWL Member

1) I didn't say there was anything wrong with yours. I was just asking what firmware because it seems you have trouble burning at 16x whereas I do not, even though we have the same burner.

2) That's fine, your choice.

3) True, not necessarily recommended, but it's fine to do. I wouldn't use them unless I could find ample evidence of most (if not all) people getting it to work without problems, and in this case, I could. The thing about the DVR-108 (and probably other Pioneer drives) is that there's a lock they put in so that you can only choose to burn at 16x with certain media, such as Pioneer's own brand of DVD's (though I hear they're not making them anymore). This unofficial patch removes the lock and also makes it region free, which are both important to me. Anyways, just because it's official, doesn't mean it's good, and just because it's unofficial doesn't mean it's bad.

4) Because they've worked flawlessly every single time I've tried thus far. If had a set way of doing something that worked perfect every single time, wouldn't you keep it up?

Oh and I forgot to mention, 16x DVD's aren't limited to DVD+R's, Verbatim has them in -R's too:

http://blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=485

So even if you couldn't use +R's in your players or PS2, you can still get 16x DVD-R's anyways.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005