1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ritek GO5 (white printable) none working on my V3 refurbihsed

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Banzai, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Banzai

Banzai Member

Hi to all,
    I bought a 25 pack of ritek dvd-r disks G05-that is how DVD identifier describes them as- i have tried about 11 burns to back up my already backed up version of MGS3 and none of them work (i get the disc read error) - i have a modchip installed (matrix infinty) and all PSX/PS2 backups work.

The only reason why i want to backup my MGS3 is due to the fact that my original backup (not the original game, the original backup- ive lent my original to some1)its booting up only sometimes due to 'invisible' scratches, well i put the cd in different angle of light and i could see pretty bad scratches. Therfore, i tried these ritek GO5 discs unbranded (8x) and none work (could this be due to the scratches affecting the reading process?). I have tried both nero and dvd decrypter, NERO only lets me do 4x or 8x so i pick 4x (why doesnt it let me do 1x? i have a LG GSA4163B WITH latest fimware that i got jst yesterday and dvd identifier states the GO5 are capabble of 1x and 2x and 4x), where as decrypter states 1x but in the end it does 3.8x= NONE OF THE BACKUPS that were burned work.

I have three originals of DBZ BOUDOUKAI 3, MGS3 AND GTA SAN ANDREAS and also three backups of those games that my friend burnt for me (for backup)- i even tried burning an original ZOE2 and no sucess, i know there is nothing wrong with my chip as MGS3 backup sometimes works and when it doesnt the playstation 2 recognises the game as a DVD-video (probably due to the scratches), therefore, if it was due to the chip, the copies i burnt would also say DVD-video but it doesnt, i get a disc read error message. Sorry for rambling so much.

So basically, is it due to perhaps a bad batch of riteks GO5 unbranded printable whites? I even tried backing up my ORIGINAL ZOE2 for test purposes and doesnt work at all: disc read error. my ps2 is refurbished and i get no disc read errors in original games even MGS2 SUBSTANCE which wouldn boot at all on my old ps2- so there is nothing wrong with my laser- i even have a backed up MGS1 tat i play on the ps2 and it boots straight into it (THERE IS NOTIHGN WRONG WITH MY LENS).

I am going to return theses discs and get some taiyo yudens but perhaps it is due to the scratches (which can only be seen in different kind of light). but my ZOE2 is in a pretty goood condition and its backup doesnt work- all the backups i copied were 4x speed burning as my NERo didnt let me do 1x.

PLease tell me a solution to the problem, is the GO5S bad bad batch or is it due to scratches. Sorry for rambling so much its my first post!!

With regards,
    The Gaut

PS2: V3 refurbished with no problems with originals
    burner used: LG GSA 4163B WITH LATEST FIRMWARE (got it on 27 march 2005)
    DISCS used: Undranded ritek DVD-R 8X white printables (says made in taiwan) GO5

2. Banzai

Banzai Member

sorry for double post, i also tried alcohol 120% without success at lowest speeds

3. Banzai

Banzai Member

Anyone there ? please help

4. Banzai

Banzai Member

i am quite desperate !!! Please HELP anyone?

Thanks in advance

5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

You should of done a search on the GO5's. They're junk for games. The G04's are what alot of people swear by, including myself. Try some different media and good luck.

6. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

if i burn ps2 games with g05 dvdr at anything exept 2x i get bad copys. i dont see why nero is only allowing 4x but i wouldnt use nero anyway. try dvd decrypter to make the iso and burn with alcohol 120% at 2x.

7. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

lol i just read the rest of the post... you already tried... sorry :)

8. Wonga

Wonga Member

Thats cheered me up. I had to throw an entire pack of them out (thought it was just me). I used them for a few DVD backups and Xbox backups to take to uni incase my collection got nicked, they seemed to burn fine but when it came to reading them nothing could not even the drive that burnt them (although it obviously wouldn't with xbox backups).

The pack I had was white faced Ritek G05's with a blue label on the spindle itself. They must have sent a few bad batches out from the factory.

I'm using RiDiscs now without any problems and my mates use Datawrites which also seem to be very reliable. I had heard that Riteks are the best but will not be buying any again in the near future.

9. Banzai

Banzai Member

wonga u are correct- i bought the exact same ones blue top (25 pack) ritek pack and NONE of them work, thanx for everyone that tried to help, i will get some taiyo yudens next weeks and we'll just wait and c.

Once again, thanx
    The Gaut

10. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Wonga don't throw them out. Use them for movies. And Decrypter will let you burn at 1x as long as your drive will let you.

11. dan1677

dan1677 Guest

I've had similar problems with any 8x speed DVD-R's. Maybe you should only buy 4x speed dvd-r's as this is what solved my problems. Keep the Ritek go5's for films that you can watch on your PC or standalone DVD player. Damn fussy PS2's!!!

12. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Movie wise... the G05's worked great. 0 problems. Them ps2's are just SO picky...

13. Banzai

Banzai Member

there is problem: the DVD identifier identifies the speeds of the GO5s as "1x, 2x, 4x (8x cannot be detected)"- however dvd decrypter says the discs can only burn 4x and 8x (not 1x and 2x) my burner's minimum is 2x.I think it is just a bad batch. By the way do u think scratches on the original disk affect the process (even though decrypter shows no read errors)?

ps. i dont really burn movies lol.

Once again, thanx

The Gaut

14. geoffbob3

geoffbob3 Regular member

i have used the printable ritek 05 no problem done about 20 back-ups all burned @4x not one problem but have had some prolems with them playing films on dvd players so gone back to ridsc blues 8x and still no problem although i burn games at 4x but have tried to burn at 6x and it worked fine

15. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

If the scratches were a problem then you should've gotten a "read error". Seems like your best bet is to go ahead and try some different media. Good luck.

Oh ya... If you've learned how to back up your ps2 games, then movies are A PIECE OF CAKE.

16. Banzai

Banzai Member

thanx for quick responses, btw i am going to get some taiyo yudens- are they worth it? and how do i identify fakes and real ones?
    Thanx

The Gaut

17. Banzai

Banzai Member

anyone ?

18. Banzai

Banzai Member

How do you identify taiyo yudens ? i heard there were fakes going around!

Thanx

19. Wonga

Wonga Member

bhetrick, I used most of them for movies but they still didn't work, its probably too late now anyway as the bins have been emptied.

As for Taiyo Yudens, I personally wouldn't bother with them, I've seen the prices and really can't justify buying them. I'd try a couple more cheaper brands to find one that works. Like I said earlier, give Datawrite a go, they seem to be the most reliable I've come across. Even if they don't work on yours, sell any you haven't used on eBay.

20. syzable

syzable Guest

I've found the Datawrite Titaniums are more than good enough and haven't had any problems with them. Good cheap discs.