1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ritek inkjet printable vs. Ritek regular DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by karen2003, Dec 28, 2004.

1. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Hi, all. I've been reading about some of you having problems with the Ritek inkjet printable (bought at Meritline, Supermediastore, or wherever) -- e.g., http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/126007. Just wanted to add that I've been having exactly the same problems. A little background first. I'd been using regular Ritek Ridata DVD+R with maybe a 1% failure rate -- pretty great. Then I thought, wouldn't it be nice to make the discs prettier, so I bought an Epson R200 printer and a couple hundred Ritek DVD+R inkjet printable discs from Meritline. Big mistake on both counts. The Epson R200 was able to print exactly one disc correctly before failing over and over (several half-printed discs, several discs that wouldn't print at all). So the printer's on its way back to Staples. I then thought, well, at least I stuck with Ritek discs because I know THEY'RE good. But there seems to be a HUGE difference between the regular Ritek Ridata discs (I've used both the shiny "generic"-looking discs plus the Ritek Ridata branded), which work great, and the Ritek inkjet printable discs. I'm having AT LEAST a 10-15% failure rate at the time of burning with the Ritek inkjet printable discs -- i.e., I do a "Shrink quick check" of the disc immediately after burning and at least 10-15% are bad at that point (i.e. Shrink can't even finish a "quick analysis" of the discs). Even worse, though, a few discs that I've burned in the past couple of weeks that DID make it through the Shrink check immediately after burning -- in other words, discs that seemed to have burned fine -- are actually bad, as I find out when I go to watch them. I'm seeing the same kinds of problems that you normally see with poor quality media -- lots of pixelation, freezing, etc. I'm guessing that the failure rate on these RITEK inkjet printable discs is closer to 30-40%, and it may be higher.

BTW I still have some of the "regular" Ritek left over from an old batch and when I use them, they're great as always. But it seems like Ritek's quality control for the inkjet printable discs is horrible. Can other people post their results with these discs? Also is there anyone out there who can explain why the inkjet printable would be so crappy when the regular Ritek are so good -- is there a big difference in the manufacturing?

thanks,
    Karen

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  2. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

Wow...I thought it was only me. Ordered and received some Ritek RiData branded and red shrink wrapped DVD+R and DVD-R discs last week. I burned 10 discs of the DVD+R. They bured perfectly. I then used my Epson R200 printer to place the image on the disc. Came out perfect. But when I tried to play them on my Sony and Philips DVD players they freeze! I even tried one I burned and had not yet placed the image on the disc and it also freezed in playback.

I ran both with DVDINFOPRO and it came up with errors at about 30% on the ones labeled and at about 80% on the ones not labled. I returned the DVD-R's since I didnt open the package yet.

I am going to buy Verbatim inkjet. More money but hopefully better quality. So much for Ritek inkjets.

3. ezrnow200

ezrnow200 Guest

Hi karen I'm going deep into my 2nd 100 pack of ridata inkjet printable's, printed on the epson R200. So far all are OK (knock on wood), do you think you got a bad run of disks. How long ago did you buy your media, I bought mine about 2 months ago at Rimma.com (rima) not sure. The R200 has a bad habit of getting ink on the tray, but that would only account for some of the problem (if it is a problem). I was about to order some more Ridata's, now I'm not sure. Oh were you using the R200 in professional mode. Let me know what happens with your ridat's

4. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Thanks to both Jamacaboi and Ezrnow200 for replying. I bought the inkjet printable discs in late August -- in other words, it's too late for me to return them even with Meritline's pretty generous return policy on Riteks. :-( The problems I'm seeing happen about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the discs, so the discs seem to be worse the further out you go. (FYI I have Shrink set on 4,350mb instead of its default 4,464mb so it won't burn all the way to the edge -- with regular Riteks, this has been sufficient.) I bought 200 of these discs (yep, 200 -- I always buy in bulk with Ritek 'cause it's supposed to be so good!!) and now I fear that a lot of the "good burns" I thought I had won't be good when I try to watch. I still have 50+ of the discs left but I'll just be using them for back-ups that only have to burn 2,500 or 3,000mb or so (e.g., some "special features" discs or some really cheap-o movies). I'm expecting a batch of 200 of the regular Riteks tomorrow as I only have a few of those left.

As for the Epson R200, I had major problems with it from the start. The tray just doesn't want to go in most of the time, or it will go in & out, in & out, like it's gone insane. The ONLY reason I bought it was to print on the discs -- I have other printers that work fine for regular work so I didn't really need another one -- so as I wrote, I gave up on it and am taking it back to Staples.

I've learned my lesson and will stick with Sharpies on regular Riteks from now on!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

5. hugabone

hugabone Member

Or you can go with this. This is what I have http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31509&item=5148596949&rd=1 and it prints great. Its a cd/dvd printer only and has automatic tray loading. It uses Lexmark ink which is very inexspensive. I havent used the R200/300 so I cant compare but if you wouldnt mind spending the extra 100 to 150 bucks then this is the way to go. It retails for 750. Wait till they come back up on ebay. They are sold straight from the manufacture.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  6. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Hugabone, I have a major problem with the inkjet printable DISCS. That was the main focus of this thread, not the printer.

7. hugabone

hugabone Member

Yes, I see. I only skimmed through the thread.