1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ritek-Ridata question

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by 1000masks, Apr 5, 2005.

1. 1000masks

1000masks Member

I read on a couple of threads that "If it isnt made in Japan" than its probably not good. Well, I just bought a some DVDs (Ritek-Ridata 04 silver tops) from Meritline.com, but the dvds I got say made in Taiwan, does that mean that the disk are not good or fake? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but Im new to this media stuff. Thanks in advance.

2. 1000masks

1000masks Member

I just got the DVDs, I see that the edges are "bumpy", is this normal?

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You should be ok with those riteks. I really like the verbatim data life plus +8x with the metal azo dye and they are also produced in taiwan.

If it comes down to buying my media in a local store, I do look for made in japan on the sony/fuji/ and maxell labels.It's harder to find out when you buy on the net.

Edit: I am not sure on the "bumpiness". My verbs are very smooth on the outside edge while there are slight bumbs on my tyg01's-nothing major, but they work very well.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  4. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

1000masks

i have bought about 200 of the Ritek G04's and
    G05's have had great outcome with them...

all the edges on them that i have bought are always
    "Bumpy" no prob's

good day.........
    free.........

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

From what I read at CDFreaks, even though Ricoh is listed as the manufacturer, Ricoh does not have any manufacturing plants for media at all - in Japan or Taiwan. But the Q/A and manufacturing processes are monitored by Ricoh. However, I still look for the RICOHJPN label and prefer it over Ritek only because all the great media I've used in the past - Fuji, TDK, Verbatim, and early Memorex - had the RICOHJPN label, and I've had practically no problems with them. Some of the Riteks were maligned because of firmware issues, and they never burned above their rated speeds like the RICOHJPNs. As they say, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
    BTW, stick with the branded Riteks with Ridata logo. I personaly don't trust Meritline so that's the only way you can be assured of not getting fakes.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  6. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

I use ridisc (ritek G04's) and they are bumpy around the edges too, but no problems so i wouldnt worry about it too much.

7. madmax69

madmax69 Member

I´m with dogbomb,

I don´t trust meritline...I´ve bought shiny silver Ritek G04´s there and they showed up as G05´s but did not burn any faster...second..they were crap...bumpy edges...froze all the time..and didn´t seem llike the dye was spread correctly...I dunno....so unlike everyone who has said they got bumpy disks and they were fine...for me they weren´t.....I prefer rima....and also in my experience..the white printables seem to be better as far as not being bumpy and having weird edges....

8. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

yes i agree,

i don't use MERITLINE either had bad servive from them.

i buy all my media from www.allmediaoutlet.com
    they have good support, and service and are
    usally the best prices...

good day

9. tomdelany

tomdelany Member

referring to 1000masks. i think that "bumpy" stuff is alright its probly just the glue and i think you should get some advice on good on-line stores, some are trustworthy and some arent.i couldnt recommend any good online stores because i live in Australia and buy online in Australia. make sure when your buying if its really cheap and looks like a good buy, its best not to buy because its probably faulty

10. joschez

joschez Regular member

I just bought these dvd+r's https://www.shop4tech.com/item2285.html and all of them are skipping my games and movies. I get gaps between the burns. It sucks. I have alwasy bought Verbatim, I guess I should of stick to that brand.

11. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

shop4tech is also on my shady dealers list. some people here and elsewhere said shop4tech sold them fake taiyo yudens. stick with the branded stuff which has the brand logos (harder to fake) and reputable guys like newegg, supermediastore, rima or just you local store where you can easily get a refund or exchange.

12. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i am on the same boat as dogbomb, I was one of those people they sold me fake TYs when i just started my burning journey~ :) shady business that i have sworn i will never deal with again. be careful guys from where you buy, sometimes a little time spent researching reputable online dealers will pay for itself 10 fold over getting scammed like i was early on. good luck to you all~

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I was a little leary of meritline too but they done me right on my last purchase. I emailed them (about 10:00 PM) about the media ID on some verbatum datalifeplus hub printable dvd+r's. They emailed me back early the next day and told me they were MCC003. I bought 100 of them and sure enough MCC003. Cheapest place I could find verbatum hub printables and they have not disappointed me.

I also ordered 50 TY dvd+r hub printables from rima and although they burn and play ok they are not hub printable (they were printable but not hub printable like I ordered). So I guess it's a gamble no matter where you buy.

Mort

14. ndirish73

ndirish73 Guest

I know this is an old thread, but I see that most are using meritline (or have used). I have done some searching at several sites and found Newegg to be the cheapest on almost all RiDATA branded and Ritek blanks. I've ordered cakes of 100 three times from Newegg. I always get the RiDATA branded by Ritek which are R03 and have only had one coaster (computer froze because one of the kids opened a cheap game while burning). I have used Memorex and Maxell and Verbatim as well and for the money, I prefer these RiDATA. As for "bumpy" edges, I have perfectly smooth surfaces and flawless purple dye layer almost every time (I had one disc with a droplet of dye, but it still burned perfectly). If you prefer the white printable blanks, I have also gone through 100 of those from RiDATA with the same flawless results. As for playback, most times this is due to the player almost as much as the media. I've been a technician of home and car audio/video for almost 4 years now and have seen many people complain about their players not playing certain media. 99% of the time if a customer says "this won't play in my player", I'll stick it in my Yamaha or Sony and it plays fine - leading the conflict with the player, not the media.
    Bottom line: I think Ritek RiDATA is among the best blank DVD media and is much cheaper than some of the brands that make you pay extra just because their name is stamped on the top. Best place to purchase Ritak RiDATA: Newegg.com Right now you can get 100 DVD+R 8X for $36.99 with free shipping (DRD+478-RDCB100) or 100 DVD+R 16X for $45.99 plus $4 shipping minus $10 mail-in rebate (DRD+4716-RDCB100B).