1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RM to DVD on mac os x

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by epepper9, Jan 20, 2005.

1. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

I have a lot of .rm files, and I was wondering if anyone knows how to convert .rm to a dvd format on a mac.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. AOBOYX

AOBOYX Guest

yes indeed - I wish to know the answer but I do know the "rm" refers to a stream NOT a file but I have found it is possible to make a CD - DATA (not video) copy -this will be a perfect copy on a CD BUT the CD will NOT play on a DVD Player but it will play on your computer IF RealPlayer is installed on the computer. Note::if you find a way to convert the 'rm' so that a CD can be played n a DVD please let me know. If you put the Data created CD into DVD Player you will receive a notice "disc error please eject"

3. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

yeah I know how to put them on a data cd, thanks, you just drag 'n drop, but I wonder if its possible to convert them to a VCD or DVD friendly file, hmmmm.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

South Park is legal to download?

Can you use real media binary codecs with mplayer/mencoder under OSX? I know that you can under linux and win32. If not then I don't know.

5. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

7. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

Thanks, its downloaded and installed, how exactly do I use it to get my .rm files onto the DVD? What does this codec do?

8. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

It is a codec for mplayer/mencoder. You would need an oSX built of that to use the codecs. No idea about OSX builds. You may have to compile it yourself. I assume that OSX comes with a compiler?

9. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

hmmm compile what??????????????
    With what??????????????
    sorry I have little experience with video conversion and I have never used a codec much, I thought they only added more capabilities to quicktime etc.
    I have found plenty of good converters for PC but I would like a good few clicks converter for os x.

10. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Compile mplayer/mencoder.
    With what? Good question. I have no idea as I don't have a mac. Like I said, I assume that it comes with a compiler. Also I only suggested compiling if binaries aren't available.

A quicktime codec will add support for new formats to quicktime, however in this case the codec is not for quicktime. A real media quicktime codec/splitter if one existed would be nice though. Yhen you could just load the rm file into quicktime and convert.

There may very well be another solution, but not owning a mac the only solution that I could come up with was a cross platform one.

11. shiroh

shiroh Guest

what c_d meant is that you need to get the source code for mplayer/mencoder and build it with a software compiler on your osx.

cause the builds available is for linux and windows only, that i know of.

this has nothing with video conversion, but the process of compiling it and installing mencoder

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2005
  12. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

I have a mac os x mplayer and I am pretty sure mencoder for os x exists, but I want to know what I am ment to do???

EG (this is only an example) If I had an AVI that quicktime supported, I could open it in quictime and export it as a different file (eg MPEG4)

Is that the sort of thing I have to do, can one of you please explain how you would do it.

13. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Yep, that sort of thing. But instead of loading the rm file into quicktime and exporting you are using mencoder.

14. shiroh

shiroh Guest

where did you get the osx compile ? or did you made it yourself ?

could you post a link for future referrence :)

15. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

mencoder alone is kinda crappy IMO, I found this thing a while back and didn't understand it now I do. I am talking about a program called "ffmpegx" what you have to do is download it, then install mencoder, mplayer and mpeg2enc into it. Then you can convert. For some reason it screws up so I have to uncheck that I want mencoder and mpeg2enc and then it doesn't always encode properly but it is pretty good otherwise. Here it is: http://homepage.mac.com/major4/
    thanks for the help, I will try changing directorys for the files and see if it will work, it is the latest version, but I think it has trouble with some .rms but will do AVI and mpeg4 to DVD alright.