1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RockBox is a pile of shit

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by p1r473, Mar 14, 2007.

1. p1r473

p1r473 Member

k so i installed rockbox on my ipod..battery 100% charged and still plugged in the wall so im not using any battery..the ipod reset worked fine..i loaded my songs that were already on the ipod from when it was the apple firmware..and i play a song..it all starts working..17 seconds into the song the song stops and the ipod stops working..nothing would work so i unplugged it from the wall and as soon as i did that it turned off..now it wont turn back on and when i connect it to the computer it says "please wait, battery very low" and then it has a loading icon spinning around..but i know my battery is 100% cause i had it plugged in the while time..and even when its plugged into the wall it wont turn on
    i hate rockbox, killed my ipod..how do i get my ipod back to normal?

i have no computer access to the ipod or normal ipod access...i think its completely broken because of rockbox..and i installed it exactly like the instructions said too

if anyone can help PLEASE let me know
    thanks

2. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Please edit the thread title, swearing is against forum rules.

My best suggestion for your problem would be to restore the iPod with the latest iPod Software and try to install RockBox all over again.

3. Apoc53

Apoc53 Member

Pirate -- unplug the charge cable, then reboot the iPod (Menu + Select on the Video iPod). This should hopefully at least get you into the Rockbox OS. I'm having the same problem and it seems every time I plug in with the USB charge cable, it pulls back the "very low battery" screen. I'm in the middle of an experiment right now -- you might be interested in trying this as well:

Navigate to: Settings --> General Settings --> System --> Battery

The default "Charge during USB Connection" setting on my iPod was set to "No." I've changed this to Yes. I've also set ... System --> Idle Poweroff option to 5m from 10m. Upon plugging it back in, it still says it has a low battery (and hence I can't remove Rockbox) but perhaps this is part of the answer.

As a side note, no matter what charge the iPod may have, Rockbox is reporting the battery is dead while I'm in the OS. I've got a 5G 30GB iPod, and the default capacity in the Rockbox OS for this iPod's battery is 1300mAh. I don't remember off the top of my head if this is correct, but this is something else I'll be looking into. If the OS expects an incorrect battery capacity, there's no telling what might happen.

If you find a solution to this, please let me know. I'm in the same boat, and I'm sure there are others as well.

4. Apoc53

Apoc53 Member

http://ipodbatteryfaq.com/ipodbatteryandpower.html

The battery capacity on mine, at least, appears to be 600mAh. This means Rockbox, using its default 1300mAh capacity, could be attempting to overcharge my battery. NOT good. I'm still having problems, but when I'm able to change the capacity, I'll let you know if it helps.

5. Apoc53

Apoc53 Member

Well, the iPod kept shutting itself off after a few seconds, but I finally got it to stay online long enough to check the battery capacity setting. As a preliminary correction, my iPod should have a 400mAh capacity -- however, 1300mAh is the smallest capacity RockBox will allow. I'm at a loss. I guess it's time to leave the iPod plugged in for another 4 hours and see if I can get it to stay on whilst the cable is connected.

Any further direction on this problem would be appreciated.

6. Apoc53

Apoc53 Member

I think the USB Charging option was the problem in my case. I managed to get the iPod charged enough that it showed the Do Not Disconnect screen, and I've successfully removed Rockbox. Apple's OS might be "restrictive" and look bland, but at least it won't void the warranty should something go wrong.

I hope you are able to get to the same point.