1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roku

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rtrg, Jun 6, 2019.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am thinking of getting a ROKU EXPRESS, small box plus remote. My building provides FREE wifi internet which requires a given password for all residents to use. I currently use it for my desktop as do several other residents. No one has an issue with spotty or slow connection speed. This prompts me at ask if the ROKU will SEARCH and FIND this or any unsecured wifi to connect to? Is the ROKU a monthly fee or simply a one time purchase for the device? If subscription does the fee go up after the TRIAL period, as cable fees did? Which is why I got rid of it. I currently use my desktop to watch the same content I watched on cable. All for FREE, as in no subscription services or paid websites. Only free sites like YOUTUBE and movie, news sites for me. A friend just bought a ROKU. He is not tech savvy and does not know where the wifi is coming from. Either from the buildings wifi, his daughters cell, or somewhere else. Enlightenment please.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

looks to me that it kind of turns your tv into a smart tv so you can connect to streaming sites.those sites will require a suscription which will entail a monthly fee.you would be better served taking out a netflix subscription.