1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romeo Mod..

Discussion in 'PS2' started by e3e4520, Dec 2, 2004.

1. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Hi,
    I have a version 10 with DMS3 installed. As we all know about the laser problem....I just replaced the laser and, to prevent it from happening again I heard there is a "romeo mod" you can do to help it. However I've tried to find it online but there is no clear diagram on how to do it.

Is there website that tells you step-by-step how to do this? Any help is appreciated, thanks..

2. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

3. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Thanks for the reply, I've read the website but what exactly is pin 17? And what is the LA6508 chip? Is it the same way to fix it for all types of modchips?

And what are those "safe points"? Do I connect the pin 17 to one of these points?

Please help me...

4. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

if you look at the image for the v9 the la chip is the chip in the top left corner of the pic and pin 17 is the 3rd leg on the righthand side of the chip from the bottom (you can see the wire connected to it in the image), you lift that leg of the chip from it's pad then connect it with a wire to one of the 5v points

5. Jixxer

Jixxer Member

I would take your chances with the chip holding up...I just posted a thread about this on my experience with this mod..it screwed my unit up...Disc motor doesnt work....door wont open...laser getting hot...dont bother...If anything you should check the resistance on your coils make sure it isnt below 4.5.....

6. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

7. Jackass57

Jackass57 Guest

I wanna do this mod too, so do I just get a wire and wrap it around the LA6508 leg and then at the other end of the wire put a tiny bit of the wire in the hole and then put a small square of electrical tape on top? This'll work right?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2004
  8. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

No, dont just wrap the wire around the leg, solder it. Also you wont get wire to fit through the hole, and definately dont hold it place with tape. Everything needs to soldered properly if you dont want to kill your PS2.

9. kgray

kgray Member

be careful when you do

10. Jackass57

Jackass57 Guest

So I would just leave the LA6508 leg [third one] sticking up, but with wire soldered onto it at the top? Then would I completely solder the other end into the hole so that the hole is covered up with solder [and the wire inside the solder of course]?

11. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member