1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

router / ethernet help

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by nufc_dude, Feb 21, 2008.

1. nufc_dude

nufc_dude Member

i have a cable modem which has a ethernet port and a USB port to connect to the internet, and now i have a router so i am able to get my 360 on live at the same time of going on the internet and playing my media through the 360. i have everything connected up properly, the ethernet cable goes to WAN port of the router, then i have a ethernet cable coming from the 360 to the router, then a ethernet cable which runs to the pc itself. the problem is that i cant surf on the pc with my ethernet cable only the usb line, even though i can get on live on the 360 and theres internet flashing symbol on the router. im confused as when i run a ethernet cable from the 360 to the modem i can get on live fine. would this be more a pc problem than something to with the xbox? cheers

2. Dindi304

Dindi304 Guest

Sounds like the pc is having trouble reading the usb

3. nufc_dude

nufc_dude Member

its fine reading the usb to go on the internet but once i connect just the ethernet cable to the pc and try to go on firefox i just get problem loading page even though when i go into network connections the ethernet connection says its connected

4. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Have you tried a different ethernet port?

5. steimy

steimy Active member

Most likely there is soomething in the connection on the PC that is wrong in your network settings.

hooing to the PC via a USB connection is slightly different then if you use the ethernet cable.

How many connections does it show in your "my network places"?
    Do you have a broadband and a LAN?

If so is the LAN the one set up as the default connection?

Are the settings under you internet in the control panel set to never dial a connection?

Do you have the broadband drivers (ethernet drivers which are different from USB drivers) for your system installed?

There can really be a few factors that can cause the connection on the PC to go a little wacky. If you set it all up correctly then you should not need the USB cable at all. You would run all ethernet cables betw the router, PC and modem.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  6. nufc_dude

nufc_dude Member

when i go into network connections i can only see one which is ther ethernet one, although when i do plug in the usb to go on internet, like now, another connection comes up. ive just checked and 'nerver a dial up connection' is checked. and if im sure that i was able to connect through the ethernet about a couple of weeks ago do you reckon i should do a system roll back?