1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

router help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by punk88, Jun 18, 2007.

1. punk88

punk88 Member

i bought a Linksys WRT54G router. when i try to install it windows says there is little or no connectivity. but when i plug my modem directly into the comp the internet is perfect. what the hell is going on?

2. stefffrew

stefffrew Member

reinstall software for router and try ssid as connection

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seems mad, but try using a different network cable. I got that message and actually found that a LAN cable supplied with my WRT54G was faulty!

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect the power & data cable to modem. connect router to modem & to computer. connect power & data cable to modem, connect power to router & turn on pc. works every time with me when doing that setup.

5. punk88

punk88 Member

thanks for the help, but it didnt work, i also forgot to mention that it isnt installed yet.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Last time I checked you didn't have to install a router, all you did was connect it to a PC, am I that out of touch?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sam, if the router is new recently & wireless, i've noticed that there is a worded sticker across the net ports stating install software before connecting router. i don't except to setup the wireless security afterwards.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have this same exact router and there is no software needed to set it up.

When your router is hooked up to your PC can you Access the router’s web-based setup page?

Step 1:
    Open a web browser such as Internet Explorer.

Step 2:
    Go to the Address bar and enter your router’s IP Address ("192.168.1.1" is the default IP of most Linksys routers) then press [Enter]

Step 3:
    A new window will prompt for a User name and Password. Leave the User name space blank, type in your router’s password ("admin" is the default password), then click OK

If you can access the router this way then the connection between your computer and the router is fine. You will need to trouble shoot the connection from your Cable modem to your router which could only be the cable. Also does your ISP require an assigned IP if so this will all need to be configured in the router, but this will all be explained in your manual. Linksys WRT54G