1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router Problem

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Iverson69, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Iverson69

Iverson69 Member

I have the Linksys WRT54GS and my problem is this:

I am on my PC, then I try to connect my PS3 to the internet. My PS3 connects but it knocks out the internet on the PC. Then when my PC reconnects to the internet, it will knock out the internet on my PS3.

Anything I should do in settings?

2. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

Sounds like your pc and the psn are trying to use the same ports and or ip address, so whenever one goes on it takes over the other's slot. Not quite sure what you could do, try changing your pc to a static ip address and/or putting the ps3 in a DMZ.

3. Iverson69

Iverson69 Member

How the hell did I not think of that?

Someone who has done so much networking, I feel stupid now.

Thanks, bout to test it.

4. Iverson69

Iverson69 Member

This semi-worked.

I can now have INTERNET on both, but when my PS3 does "Search for media center" my PC internet gets disconnected and the PS3 does not find any media center.

I am using TVersity and at 1 rare moment, it worked yesterday.

Both PS3 and PC are connected to the router through a cable.

5. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Sounds like an issue with the router to me as searching your LAN (which is what the PS3 does when it searches for media servers) should not affect your WAN (which it obviously does if your PC loses internet connectivity).

I would if you can try a different router to see if the issues persist, if you cant, try defaulting and reconfiguring the router - if setting up static ips is an issue for you, just set both the PC and PS3 to dynamic then once they have connected once their mac address should show up on the router and you can assign it under DHCP to a set IP address which basically makes it static as the router will always assign the same IP address to each device, then you can do the necessary ports/firewall settings for the PS3.

6. aaskia

aaskia Member

go to your start menu
    go to run
    type in "cmd"
    then type in "ipconfig/release"
    then type in "ipconfig/renew"
    your ps3 automatically enters in the ip address of the other comp on your network. just release and renew the ip address on your comp and you should be fine.