1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

router question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by themusic, Feb 16, 2005.

1. themusic

themusic Member

iv just bought and set up a router in my student accommodation.

there are 3 computers in the network, 2 apples and one windows, im the admin and im using the windows computer,

my question is, is there any way i can limit the speeds the other 2 people are getting on there apples? there eating the bandwidth with bit torrents and p2p programs.

also the model of router i have says it has a built in firewall, i have enabled this, but i kept zonealarm running just to check if it works and zone alarm is still blocking threats, does this mean the built in firewall in the router isnt adaqute(sp)

http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/113801/7099953.html

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Most consumer routers do not allow a bandwidth capping feature per connected port. Not much you can do there without spending about $850 or so. Zone Alarm is probably detecting communication attempts between the PC's themselves. If your only public IP address is assigned to the WAN port on the router there is no way unsolicited communication attempts from the Internet can reach any of your internal PC clients as how they are likely using non-routable private IP addresses.