1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router setup page access in Windows 7 and 8

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 2e0jeb, Apr 29, 2013.

1. 2e0jeb

2e0jeb Member

Using windows 7 and 8 on different machines I am unable access my routers web based set up. My 2 other spare router`s are the same. Help Please.

I enter the usual "admin" and "admin" in the login box. 3 goes and then get error message or hangs on waiting. Could this be a windows based problem. I think it was ok on XP but that is gone now. Router is working fine but I just cant access it to alter any settings. It is the same for my 2 other spare routers.
    Thanks.

2. kanaske

kanaske Member

this is not a windows issue have u visited the router makers web page?

3. 2e0jeb

2e0jeb Member

Thanks for your suggestion.
    I think I may have been a little unclear in my original post.
    Just to clarify.
    My main router is a TP-link.
    The other two spare routers are Belkin and Linksys.
    I have been unable to access any web based set up for any router since moving from XP to Windows 8 on the laptop and Windows 7 on the PC.
    I wondered if Explorer 10 or previous updates could be the issue.

4. donewell

donewell Regular member

I had almost same problem after updating to ie 10, had to go back to ie 10. then i read on goole that after updates to ie 10 caused alot of routers to have different problems,
    the problem was solved by run in ie 10 in compatibility vew to get router to work. then after your done shut combatibility off. Hope this works for you

5. 2e0jeb

2e0jeb Member

Hi,
    Good idea but didn't work for me.
    I would like to reset my router to factory settings but if I still cant access it afterwards I have lost my internet connection. I think I will have to take it to a friends house and see if they can access the router. This way it will prove if my computers have a problem or the router has a problem.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

accessing the router setup thru wired or wireless? unlikely 3 different routers will give you the same problem.

7. 2e0jeb

2e0jeb Member

Hi,
    Although all our devices and computers connect wirelessly, I have used a cable each time back to a router. I'm beginning to think I'm missing something simple here but just put a finger on it yet.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

post on how you wired the modem to the router(s) as in what ports did you use.

9. 2e0jeb

2e0jeb Member

Hi,
    Hi,
    I use an Ethernet cable back to the router/modem into port 1.
    (TP-Link TD-W8961ND Ver 3)
    The cable is a long one but works as I can use it for internet connection but could it be possible it has a fault on it causing my issue.
    I am going to look for the short cable that came in the box today and give that a go just in case.