1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router trouble

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mightyed8, Jun 25, 2007.

1. mightyed8

mightyed8 Member

Ok well i have the Netgear WGR614v6 router. and i had a small problem that i fixed easily but i also got lucky with it. For some reason it just stopped working. I went out for a little bit and my router just stopped working, at first i thought that it was just because there maybe be some wireless interference so i went on my computer that is hardwired into it and it wasn't working either, so i checked to see if someone could have knocked a wire out somehow but no, so just trying to figure out what was wrong i remember helping a friend out and all we had to do to get his router working was unplug the power and plug it back in, so thats what i did. and well it worked and everything is running smoothly again.

now you may ask why did i just waste 5 minutes of your time to tell you i fixed the problem, well the reason is that i would like to know why that happened and if there is anything i could do to prevent it from happening.

Thanks in advanced

2. ID10Teror

ID10Teror Member

this is a common issue with routers, try upgrading your firmware

gl

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That could help, but a lot of routers (particularly Netgear) just suck. That sounds very derogatory and unhelpful, but in fact the majority of routers on the market today are poorly made for no real reason. Netgear routers get hot, so try placing it in a cool environment, or you could even have a fan running across it. That's usually what causes them to crash.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i've even seen that problem with cable modems & use that same method to get them back online