1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rrecording vhs & making DVD with mpeg2

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by locodelic, Feb 17, 2003.

1. locodelic

locodelic Member

Please help a total noob!

I want to find a way of backing up VHS tapes to DVD. Most of the tutorials that I've found deal with SVCD format which I understand is not as high quality as true MPEG2 DVD. I've experimented so far using ATI's vid capping software and a composite hook-up from a vcr to my pc using ATI's on-the-fly MPEG2 encoder. Needless to say I ended up with a cap file where the audio sounds horrible (using the onboard sound chip) and with a lot of synch problems(audio and video dont match). Tried to use virtual-dub but I get no sound.

Can someone please stear me in the right direction!

2. memcco

memcco Regular member

i use an external piece of hardware called instant dvd by ads technologies. sure you won't have a problem finding it on the web. that's where i bought it. it'll give you many options: vcd, svcd and dvd. it does all 3 very well. it give you 3 options for dvd captures: 3, 4, or 5 mbs! 3 mbs looks like vcd on dvd, but it's not too bad...my experience with it tells me that i'm limited to 55 minutes at 4 mbs and 38 at 5 mbs. the video is a lot better...still not dvd quality of course. it does very well with svcd. you have to stop the tape at the appropriate time (pause) and restart ads and rename the new capture pt2 etc....but it works great. cost about $150 -$170, if i remember correctly. mike