1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RROD xbox 360 fan help, whats going on??

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ck44, Jun 6, 2009.

1. ck44

ck44 Member

Hello everybody, recently my xbox 360 got the wonderful RROD... I was reading many articles on how to fix this, and since I'm new to fixing 360's, I decided to try the penny fix. I followed a tutorial on youtube and did everything, but when I turned on my 360, the fans spinned for one second then stopped. I took off the pennies and the thermal paste and the fans still only spin for one second then stop spinning. I don't know what's going on, I've been trying to fix this problem all day and getting really tired of hitting dead ends. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. chris4160

chris4160 Guest

How many rrod are there and is there an error message?

4. ck44

ck44 Member

hi, thanks for answering.. as soon as I push the button, 3 red lights start blinking and there is no error code at all, no video even. thanks.

5. chris4160

chris4160 Guest

Check the power cable is plugged in properly on the back of the 360. This may just be a faulty power cable or av cable

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
  6. ck44

ck44 Member

I checked both of the cables and they are plugged in correctly... I really don't know why this is happening, everything is plugged in right and yet the fan only spins for one second.

7. ck44

ck44 Member

Another thing is that when I turn on the 360, the eject button won't work..please, if anybody could help I'd really appreciate it.. thanks.

8. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

What is the secondary error code? Google "xbox 360 error codes" and you will find how to get the secondary error code and then you should be able to identify the cause of the problem. It could be a power issue. Does your power brick flash green, yellow or red when you turn your 360 on? It should flash green when its on and yellow when its off. If it flashes red, there is a power problem.

9. gameover9

gameover9 Guest

The penny trick will ruin your board, don't do it! It wil bow the board and is a last resort. Pull the code and see if the xclamp will work, if not, you'll need to reflow the board.

10. homesick

homesick Regular member

i would say the x-clamp and penny trick are not a last resort, however a reflow is.

11. uturn68

uturn68 Regular member

wha????? im rockin a penny fix that is over 2 years old and still going strong.

12. ck44

ck44 Member

hi, thanks for replying. alright, I tried the secondary code thing. Ok, when I push the on button, my 360 flashes 3 red lights, I pressed the sync and eject button then it flashed 4 lights, i did it again then it flashed 2 lights on the top. so i guess is it error 302, do i start with the 3 red lights, or do i start counting with the 4 lights? if so, then it is error 0023.

13. htorihpeS

htorihpeS Regular member

0023 is a problem that is not yet known. Try the x-clamp fix anyway unless you have a warranty. You might be able to buy a warranty sticker from ebay if you don't. Then send it back to Microsoft for repair/replacement.

14. diw321

diw321 Member

I seem to be having a similar problem, my 360 flashes 2 red lights 1-2 secs after I turn it on (secondary error code 0013), I have checked the connections and tried different AV cables. I have replaced the Xclamps with bolts and nuts, as well as replaced the thermal compound, but it still wont go pass this state. I am really hoping that $99 dollars+ shipping to microsoft is not my only option.

15. gameover9

gameover9 Guest

0013 error is a memory soder point issue. You need to reflow or buy a new xbox.

16. ton312

ton312 Member

Yeah I have that same problem and just given up. I noticed the light on my power brick goes green for 1 sec (the fan spins) then goes yellow like xbox 360 is turned off. Then just 3 red lights with no fan.(Also has 0013 error) Looked high and low for answers but nothing. It has the x clamp fix but wonder if the board has shortage in it or something? (maybe bad x-clamp)Never tried reflow method, im a look into that. If this would help 3 red lights for my system came when i was flashing the dvd drive and put it back into 360 turned on 360 went green. A little tug on drive then boom RROD! (drive wasnt in place properly)

17. ck44

ck44 Member

I also just gave up, too much trouble for just this one xbox.. hey ton312, let me know how it goes if you somehow manage to make your xbox360 work. Like I said, I gave up and I'm now going to try and send it to Microsoft for repair. ( I bought a warranty sticker off ebay and everything, hope it works.)

18. diw321

diw321 Member

Ok guys, I found a "fix" for our 0013 issue, I went to walmart, bought another xbox, brought it home, switched the serialed backplates (this will void your warranty, in case you didn't know). Then I simply returned the xbox to walmart, the serials matched on the xbox, the cardboard box, and the receipt, I got my xbox fixed for free, walmart would get there money back from microsoft, and microsoft would refurb it. This sneaky, but legal ;)

19. ck44

ck44 Member

hmm.. I see, so you basically just opened the new xbox and used the external cases and put them on you nonworking xbox. I thought walmart didn't return your money back though, or is that only on software? I remember It tried returning a game and they only let me get another exact copy. Also, in Gamestop I had bought a psp, tried to return it because I found it cheaper at another store and I couldn't, I could only get another psp. (That's Gamestop though)

20. uturn68

uturn68 Regular member

hopefully your old xbox wasnt registered to you. if MS wanted to, it wouldnt be hard to get the serial off the motherbaord and track it to you after wal mart sends it back to them. not trying to scare you or anything, just throwing it out there if anyone else is thinking of doing this.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  21. diw321

diw321 Member

. Yeah, I thought about that, and it is registered to me but what can they do, I haven't registered the "new" one I suppose they could ban me from live but I think that would take a pretty ambitious msft employee for them to do all that, I'm sure they have other consoles to fix