1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

+r's or -r's in backing up PS2 Games

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by Godshmack, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Godshmack

Godshmack Member

Does it really matter if you use dvd-r or dvd+r, i've heard that +r's really aren't good for the lazer in backing up games. Is there any truth behind that or ...?

2. notmyname

notmyname Regular member

-r is the only way to go.

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Not true. +r's work better for me, especially with new games that read from the disk a lot. It depends a lot on your version of ps2. i hear ver 1-4 can't read +r, and ver 5-11 can. my ver 5/6 prefers them. And about them hurting the ps2 laser, Looking at the laser, hurts the laser. Talking about the laser hurts the laser. The laser is just plain crap.

4. n3oNx

n3oNx Member

When you burn the DVD set the BOOKTYPE (Bit-Setting) to DVD-ROM. This way the compatibility is improved vastly. A TDK DVD+R 4x recorded as DVD+R didn't work on my V9 (worked on a V5) but when I set the booktype to DVD-ROM with the same disc my V) reed it with no problems.

5. Godshmack

Godshmack Member

I have a modded slim ps2 coming in the mail tomorrow. I assume that either + or - r's will work without problem. Thanks for everyone's input. Does everyone just use dvd decrypter as the easiest tool or another program. Thanks!