1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RTFM

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mediaguru, Apr 6, 2005.

1. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Does anybody know what RTFM stands for?

There are lots of posts here asking questions that are ALL ANSWERED IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL!

I know we mac users are spoiled and think all applications should be so easy to use we never need a manual.

But it's a good idea to RTFM!

2. Londor

Londor Guest

LOL!!!

MG, people do not have "the time" to read the manual that is why they expect you to read it for them so you can answer their questions.

Jokes apart what you should do is just ignore those questions as I do. Lazy people asking over and over again the same questions, the annoying pop-ups and ads in the threads are driving me away from this board.

Take care

3. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I'm with you. The popups and now the ads IN THE THREADS are very annoying. I don't mind them paying the bills, but it's getting pretty sick.

I'm considering "retiring" from this board too.

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Gentleman/ladies there is a feedback area where you can have your say about what you feel needs to be addressed on this site.The criticism that you express is i'm sure noted by the admins who i believe take your comments seriously.

that is your call if you feel it a burden to answer even the most mundane and repititious questions but unless you re educate people in how to use the board then all we really going to have are members who are dissatisfied and ultimately leave.

5. Londor

Londor Guest

[bold]andmerr[/bold]

I joined this site 14 months ago because I needed some help. I had read all the posts in
    the first 3 pages of the Mac forum and could not find an answer to my question so I asked
    for help. Not receiving any, I kept on reading more posts on this and other boards. By the
    time I found the answer to my question I could answer most questions on this forum. So
    far I have posted over 400 messages in 200 threads and all of them but one have been to
    help. I have received many PMs from people thanking me for all the work I have done here.
    For over 8 months I was the only one regularly helping people out then MG came along
    and took over. I kept monitoring the forum and answering questions that had not been
    answered "two" posts earlier or were not covered by MG's MACINTOSH RIP/COMPRESS/
    BURN GUIDE which I asked David to stick so it would not get lost in the forum.

So when I say that I ignore "those" questions is not because I am tired of reading them, it
    is because I am fed up of answering them. If people took the time to read the first 40/50
    posts in this forum and/or the manual of the software they are using 99% would find the
    answer they need.

And I am being driven away from this board not only because I do not gain anything from
    it. It is because I also have to endure the annoying pop-ups despite that the "Block pop-up
    windows" option is enabled in my browser (this is the only site where I get pop-ups) and
    lately the ads in the middle of the threads.

Edit typo

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2005
  6. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I suspect many people don't RTFM, becuase they don't have one. Meaning they've pirated their software....

7. Londor

Londor Guest

That is no excuse. You can always check the help files and if you do a google search for whatever manual something is always going to come up.

The reason why they do not do it is because it is easier having someone else doing it for them. You can always tell when someone has done his/her homework before asking something.

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Yes. I just think sometimes they just don't want to put in the effort. Hell some of this stuff isn't easy.

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thats amusing i have the entire opposite, i am running a pop up stopper as well and all i get is it says advertisement but no ads are shown.Go figure, it would be nice to see what ever you guys are viewing

You should of realised that after 8 months no matter how you prod people there are always going to be ones who dont use the search features or read the manuals , because 9 times out of 10 that is where the answers lie.

Isnt that human nature.

10. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

WELL, right above your post in another post is an ad with 4 google ads down the left side and a big ad on the right. It's a good 4x6 inches on my screen.

11. andmerr

andmerr Guest

well i turned my pop up stopper off, still dont get the ads but now i can see your pictures turned it back on i dont see the computers in your sig.The program i am using is zero popup stopper.Check the link out below

http://www.tooto.com/popup-killer/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2005
  12. siluet

siluet Member

Hi,
    i just want to say that i´ve learnt a lot from you guys and that i also understand if you want to leave. I just hope not.

Thanks anyway