1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Run games form hd witout functional disk drive

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Ghost_Dog, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Ghost_Dog

Ghost_Dog Member

Was just wondering if there was anyway to set up a hard drive to run my ps2 games from without having a functional disk drive. One of the old ps2 id forgotten about came to my attention the other day and i had a look at it. I think the motor that works the eject button is recked, cus the the damn eject button wont work, lol. Even if i open the case and set a game in it dosent spin and start up. Real pain in the ass!

Anyway, ive been reading up and i gather that i could format an ide hard drive thats attached to my pc and set it up ready for use with my games on it. Only catch is i dont no how to load them onto my old ps2 when i cant get it to read anthing in the disk drive. Is it possible to acces the contents of the hd without booting the hdadvance\hdloader disk? Any suggestions or ideas would be much apreiciated. Also just incase any one knows of a free solution to the dam eject button problem, id be more than happy to hear that too.

Thanks in advance

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Not that I know of. There are several methods which I know of at the moment to boot up the IDE HDD you installed off your fat PS2. Using the MC Exploit where you can use Gameshark 2, Action Replay or Swap Magic to basically upload HDLoader onto your memory card and load up HDL each time through the simple use of using any PSX game of your choosing as the trigger disk to activate the HDL on your MC each and every time, and it'll go directly to HDL each time unless your PS2 has difficulties in general reading CDs depending on the age and potency of your PS2's laser.

You can use a USB flash (pen) drive like I'm doing, but you need to use Swap Magic, ulauncher or something else too to activate HDL off the USB drive, and like the previous method, you need a Swap Magic or so forth to trigger the program to load.

I'm not quite sure about this method but bare with me... If you have a mod-chip you could always store HDL onto a particular mod-chip using the DEV1 mode capabilities and basically boot directly each time through the use of the mod-chip? I'm not quite sure about this one...

You could always boot off HDL from your own IDE HDD, but you would need something like Swap Magic or so forth to activate it. So you can't get anything to read for a slight moment or is it simply your disk tray that has problems ejecting?

3. Ghost_Dog

Ghost_Dog Member

Thanks for the speedy replie mate. I have swap magic and a usb pen drive, so i like the sound of this.

Im not exactly sure wats wrong with my ps2, The laser should work fine, the dam eject btton just dosent work and when i turn the ps2 on the fan spins but the screen stays black. Ive taken the case off and if i move the white plastic thing that lifts the tray with the laser up and grabs the disk the screen chnages to the ps2 browser screen. But the disk drive does not spin. Sumtimes if i move that white thing i mentioned from left to right a few times, and the laser bit with the thing that spins the disk lifts up and down enough it gives a slight spin off maybe 40 degrees of the potential 360. Im sry for the terrible description, dont no the names of half of these things.

4. Ghost_Dog

Ghost_Dog Member

Im geussing what would rely be handy is if there was some way to get the ps2 to load to the hard drive from a file on the memory card. Any ideas on this front are very welcome.

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Have you ever tried to use the slide card to try and unlock the tray, pull it out, place a disc into the tray, slide it back in and boot? You might want to consider getting a drive replacement if you can't find any helpful tutorials on how to replace or fix one. I don't know of any at the moment, but I'll try to look for one. I'm assuming you never used a slide card, Swap Magic and your old PS2 together, and you've been using a slim PS2 you never mentioned with Swap Magic. Or am I wrong?

6. Ghost_Dog

Ghost_Dog Member

Sorry for the very late response, ive been away on holiday. I had used the old ps2 with a swap magic disk and slide tool befor it got the disk drive broken. And my newer one is also one of the fat ps2's. I dont own a slimline.