1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running 2.81+games with 2.60FW?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by McMutt, Jan 14, 2007.

1. McMutt

McMutt Regular member

First off, YES I searched. Nothing I found adresses what I'd like to do.

Is there a way to run 2.81+ games on 2.60FW without downgrading all the way back to 1.50?

I'm happy with 2.60 and the eloader TIFF exploit for the homebrew I use, but I just got GTA:VCS and I want to play it (obviously without actually upgrading to 2.81 and screwing myself.) Anyone got the golden answer to my problems?

2. yohex

yohex Guest

Upgrade to 2.71 and install devhook and run it and devhook emulates firmware and isos, so its a bonus.

Why not downgrade?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2007
  3. McMutt

McMutt Regular member

Well, my main 2 reasons for not downgrading are sorta lame.

I kinda like the www browser, and the TIFF exploit for running eloader is just so dang easy. I hadn't realized I could use the tiff, and was using GTA:LCS all the time to get to eloader, and once I found out I could use the TIFF, I just got used to it being so quick and simple.

4. yohex

yohex Guest

If you downgrade you can upgrade to custom firmware and still have internet, play isos, and play all real games.

5. McMutt

McMutt Regular member

Really? Hmmm... What about eloader, would it be pointless then?

I'm not too interested in ISOs, but I'm an oldschool gamer, and I like my EMUs. Would custom firmware allow me to use all the usual EMUs?

If so, what would you recommend, firmware wise?
    I see in your sig you have this:
    I take it that's the path you took to get the firmware you use now?

6. yohex

yohex Guest

Ya thats how I got to where I am now, I would recommend DarkAlexes newest custom FW the 3.03 OE-B where you can compress psx games and play them, and custom FW should be able to run eloader and run EMUs.

If it can't and you don't like it you can reverse it back to 1.5 and update back to 2.6.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2007
  7. McMutt

McMutt Regular member

That looks like a decent plan. Like you said, I can always go back to exactly what I have now, so it's nothing but a little time lost in the process if I'm not happy with the end result. thanks a mil for all the advice!

8. yohex

yohex Guest

Np, if you have a TA-082 and have problems just view my videos, though not really that helpful it works.

9. DJchemist

DJchemist Regular member

Easiest Royte... as i had learned the hard way..after emulating with dev hook for wayy to long ..is this

2.60 --> 2.71 -Downgrade-> 1.5 US --> 3.03 OE-A
    takes up no room on memorycard, good for any TA-082 Motherboards if done right.. no bricking. aka.. read instructions properly.

u can access everything right from the XMB--> Game --> memory stick.. all .iso games are there...plus u can still use any UMD u want.. cuz its 3.03 FW update :)

10. McMutt

McMutt Regular member

I think I'm free and clear on the mobo, I bought it used and it originally came with either 1.0 or 1.5 FW on it. It doesn't have any numbers in that spot behind the UMD door either. I'm reading all the stickies correctly then, this means my mobo's not a problem for downgrades, right?

11. Xithon

Xithon Member

I must agree with yohex and say DarkAlex's newest custom firmware (3.02OE-B) is awesome, it's got the PSX EMU stuff and pretty much all the homebrew running a 1.5 PSP has (with only very few exceptions) but with all the features FW 3.02 has.

I'd suggest going for that, but to be honest I didn't want to because I've yet to find out how easy it is to get rid of after I've installed it as I'd soon want to upgrade to the latest DH and emulate the latest FW to run some of the newer game that require it.

I'm running devhook 0.51 BETA at the moment, emulating FW 3.01 which is perfect for all my games that I have (considering all the games out right now require FW 2.81 I believe, I recently got Tony Hawks Project 8, that's FW 2.81) and it allows me to keep my lovely, original FW 1.5 giving me the homebrew running abilities (eg, DGEN, a SEGA MD/Genesis emulator).

So it depends exactly what you want. You could go down the DH path, or take the more advanced custom FW choise. DH 0.52 is the best out for emulating FW 3.03, the latest FW, whereas 3.02OE-B obviously emulates 3.02 which is slightly older. But obviously DH can't give you PSX EMU or the luxury of having FW 1.5 and 3.02 combined in one neat custom FW.

I'm seriously considering switching to DarkAlex's very soon, but still I remain cautious because I want to know exactly how to uninstall it completely once it's on my PSP. There's always a bit of a risk when fiddling with custom FW and DH (and indeed downgrading) so it's entirely up to you. I'd definitely downgrade if I were you, to begin with, though.

Have fun and good luck! :)

12. Xithon

Xithon Member

Whoa, whoa, WHOA! Did I read correctly, FW 3.03 OE-A? 3.03 Emulation???

Holy moly, why was I not yet informed! I thought all the people talking about 3.03OE-A in their thread titles were typos!! Wow, I really need to keep more up-to-date...

Wow... I'd better install that soon!!! :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  13. yohex

yohex Guest

Theres a recovery file that can be activated once you have hard reseted your psp and hold on the right trigger, from there there are options to enable settings of things and revert back to 1.5.

14. DJchemist

DJchemist Regular member

yeah man...
    i wanna find 3.03 OE-B ...maybe i can then adjust my CPU Clock speed?
    haha a well... good luck to ya mate!, no bricking ;)

15. McMutt

McMutt Regular member

Well, I read somewhere that the 3.03 OEB was still a little unstable. For now I just followed the path and went to 3.02A. maybe tomorrow I'll experiment more.

16. DJchemist

DJchemist Regular member

i never went to 3.02... so.. no need for me to go back i guess

went from Using Devhook with HenC, to 3.03 Custom FW.. lol. what a jump it was.

17. Xithon

Xithon Member

Well I checked Dark_Alex's website, and sure enough, 3.03 OE-B is available. I've downloaded it along with 3.03 OE-A ready to install.

Go here for his official website: http://dark-alex.org/

Just remember, dark-elex.com isn't his website (I made that mistake...)

So from the recovery menu which is accessed by holding right trigger while booting, the firmware can be uninstalled, is that correct?

Can somebody please confirm that for me as I believe that there's probably a lot of people worried about how to uninstall the custom firmwares from Dark_Alex once they've installed them. This I feel is something which isn't covered in enough detail and is a little annoying for someone like myself who likes the freedom of doing what I want with my PSP :)

Cheers

18. DJchemist

DJchemist Regular member

i like this guy...he makes good points =P