1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running a N64 emulator on a PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by FuJu, Oct 3, 2007.

1. FuJu

FuJu Member

Similar to this thread.

Possible? I have mates with XBoxes (not 360) who have successfully done it. Probably via Surreal64, I presume.

I'm planning on getting a PS3 within a couple of months and was hoping to get a 64 emulator running on it pretty quick smart. I have the ROMs (legally, in fact!). From the limited research I've conducted, I'm under the impression that two methods are possible here:

a) Someone, sometime, produces a Surreal64-esque emulator designed for use on the PS3.
    b) Utilizing the Linux operating system on PS3 (does this come pre-installed?), a N64 emulator created for Linux could be used.

Truths?

Cheers.

PS: Is the possibility of running a decent Gamecube or XBox (not 360) emulator on PS3 greater than almost zero? I'd be stoked to achieve that as well...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  2. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Not possible, because you don't have access to the GPU in Linux. You'd need that access to emulate a console that can produce 3D polygonal graphics. BTW SNES being able to do Star Fox doesn't count. Those 3D graphics are possible because those carts had special graphic chips on each cartridge.

3. FuJu

FuJu Member

Not even possible like Surreal64 was on XBox?

Thanks for the input.

4. Sudds

Sudds Active member

As of now... theres not, but maybe in the far future.

5. StilDeath

StilDeath Regular member

ya as it is right now for the masses nuthing can be ran on the ps3 YET except ps2 back up using swap method n stuff but as far as emulators n stuff nadda :(