1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RUNNING COMPUTER OVER NIGHT

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by jimbo92, Jun 4, 2007.

1. jimbo92

jimbo92 Regular member

hey all,

would running my computer over night, damage any components and is it possible it will over heat?

thanks in advance

[edit] also would this cost alot to run it over night?
    (not on this subject, but related...would there less peers downloading and uploading over night? [torrents])

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Computers are designed to run 24/7. Just like vehicle engines, more wear and tear occurs during initial startup. As long as you keep regular cleaning maintenance, the system will run fine.

As far as leaving torrents open all night, I wouldn't suggest it. Your ISP will see the massive bandwidth usages and it might cause you some unnecessary issues.

3. britz660

britz660 Member

Eh, I leave torrents on all night and have them programed to stop uploading in utorrent when they finish downloading... never had an issue with it.

But as far as leaving it on all night your fine, I have ran every computer I have owned since I was 5 all day and all night and trust me computers go obsolete a lot faster than they wear down. In fact I leave folding@home on at around 80% cpu usage on my beast of a hp zd7000 on a regular basis and its fine.

Don't worry about it. As far as cost involved I have no idea... figure out the power consumption and multiply it times your electric rates and figure that one out yourself.

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

I have one of my computers hooked up to the bigscreen lcd, I use it as a vcr constantly recording 24 hours a day since last year, the only problem I had was a power supply went bad (generic that came with the case). I would recommend you get a UPS (uninterruptible power supply)just incase your house loses power(it will shut your computer down gently). Also in the control panel I always choose the option to turn off the hard drives after 30 minutes of inactivity. And make sure you have plenty of fans on your hard drives, you want there temperature to be under 40 celcius at all times.

5. jimbo92

jimbo92 Regular member

hey evry1 thanks for your replies,

Morph416...i dont think i'll download over night, if its going to cause problems with my ISP.

I downloaded a 3.4GB file today, and i started that at about 7.30am...so im just gonna download in the day when im here so i can monitor it

thanks again