1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running PSX Games on CFW 3.40 OE-A

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Xonos83, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Hi there everyone,

I'm attempting to catch up with the PSP changes in homebrew, since I haven't owned a PSP in over a year. I just had a pretty straight-forward question.

I have upgraded from 1.5 to CFW 3.40 OE-A. My goal is to have PSX games functioning properly. I was told by a couple of people that I would need popsloader to get the eboot PSX games to work. Then I found out from other sources that the popsloader isn't required for 3.40 OE-A, and that it's only something you need to use with m33 CFW. I am just wondering if someone can clarify this for me, as I'm a little confused.

So far, it seems all I need to do is drop the eboot file in the GAME directory (in its appropriate folder of course). Also, is keys.bin a REQUIRED file? Because I've d/led a few eboot PSX games that don't include a keys.bin file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you ahead of time, you're all brilliant!!! :D

2. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

Put the files into X:\PSP\GAME\PSXGAME\
    The keys.bin is required if they came that way.
    I recommend upgrading to 3.52 M33, the PSX emulator is better

3. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Alright, so if the PSX game I d/led does not include a keys.bin file, I need to acquire one? Is each keys.bin file specific to each game, or is it the same file for every game?

I'm still a little unsure if I need a loader (Popsloader) to run a PSX game in 3.40 OE-A. But thank you for the help! I'm considering upgrading to 3.71 m33-2.

4. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Popsloader is just a plugin that helps increase compatability, you don't need it, but you might want to use it if you experience any problems with PSX games. I run all my games without it fine.

3.52 M33-4 does have a better compatability than 3.40 OE-A and it has more features anyway, so i'd suggest you update even if it weren't for better compatability. Plus, the -4 patch comes with a popsloader (In the seplugins folder), so you don't even need to search for one :)

With the keys.bin, OE firmware required you to have one, with M33 firmware it can load the PSX game without one present. Though, inanswer to the other question, they're game specific.

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

This is the run down.

You no longer need a Keys for M33 custom firmware. Doesn't matter if it comes with 1 or not. If it comes with 1 you can delete it. If it doesn't come with 1 then that is fine as well.

You will have issues running some PSX games on 3.40 OE-A just as some PSX games have issues when running on M33 custom firmware.

Example:

3.40 OE-A has issues playing Final Fantasy VII but can play Breath Of Fire 4 fine.

3.52 M33-4 Has issues playing Breath Of Fire 4 but can play Final Fantasy VII fine.

So the best compatibility setup you can have for PSX games is running 3.52 M33-4 + popsloader plugin.

The popsloader plugin will let you emulate kernel versions from 3.00 - 3.52 versions. So you can use the 3.40 pops version to run the Breath Of Fire 4 game with no issues when having 3.52 M33-4 custom firmware installed on PSP(If you ran the game without the popsloader plug-in it would have issues).

So your best bet is to use this guide HERE and install 3.52 M33-4 custom firmware.

Then go HERE and install the popsloader plugin.

Now create a game folder: FFVII_DISC1 with the EBOOT inside that folder. Then place that in the /PSP/GAME folder directory.

So you would have the following directory for the PSX game.

ms0:/PSP/GAME/FFVII_DISC1/EBOOT.PBP

@Shokz

The seplugin folder that comes with M33-4 update doesn't have the PRX files included for the different pop versions. You still need to find them which I linked to the full pops version plugin folder on the guide I linked to above.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  6. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

That's great! You guys have been very helpful. I'm going to test out both ways and see which is better, but I have a feeling I'm going to stick with 3.71 M33-2. Thanks for the tutorials and links as well! I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks again!

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

just so you know 3.71 M33 will not run the popsloader plugin.

8. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Sorry for the double thread, but I've downloaded the popsloader application, and I just had a couple of questions.

First off, I understand from the pops.txt file that the popsloader.prx goes in ms0:/seplugins/, but I have a question about the seplugins folder itself. Inside the seplugins folder is a folder called "popsloader". Inside that folder are 41 prx files. Where do those files need to go? In one easy question, if I can....do any files need to be moved around at all once extracted, or do I just copy it the way it is to the root of my memory stick? (I have a feeling that the contents in the popsloader folder need to be moved, but I am a noob at this, so I could be wrong!)

To give you a mental image (if for some reason I'm not explaining it the best way) when I extract the seplugins folder (aka popsloader) this is what is inside.

seplugins.zip:

[folder]popsloader
    [file]pops.txt
    [file]popsloader.prx

Do I just copy as is to memstick? And to be more of a pain, what is the purpose of those 41 prx files, if it can be answered in a sentence or two? If not obviously I should read up on it.

I appreciate everything guys, thanks so much!!

9. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

"Just so you know 3.71 M33 will not run the popsloader plugin."

Ok. I'm guessing it won't work because it's not required, right? But it does work with 3.52 m33-4. Ok....retaining information lol.

Let me know if there's anything I'm misinterpreting.

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Nothing needs to be changed. Just drag the sppluggins folder to the root of the memory stick and thats it. Don't change or move the files anywhere else. The PRX files is needed to run the diffrent types of pops versions.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  11. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Thanks so much to everyone!! I successfully upgraded to 3.52 M33-4, and running PSX games with ease. The next step will be 3.71 M33-2!

Thanks again!!!

12. ikillau

ikillau Guest

this is a good guide for me too as i kinda havent been on this form since 3.40 OE - A and im looking for the next thing which is getting kind of confusing , just wanted to say thanks for all this!

13. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

downgrading and upgrading is so much easier once you have done it once before :)

14. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

You're absolutely right. I've downgraded/upgraded before, but I was always using loaders (UMD Emulator, FastLoader, Devhook, etc.). I'm sure you can see the difficulty I had with the new custom firmwares. :)

But now that I'm a lot more aware of how these things work, you're right....it's a LOT easier to get things done, and do it over and over again. :D

Kudos to the dev's who made homebrew so damn easy!!