1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-RW or +RW?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Kramerguy, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Kramerguy

Kramerguy Member

I am purchasing my DVD drive and my media at the same time so I need to know which media to buy -RW or +RW. I already know the good brands i just need to know which format -RW or +RW. I would like to purchase RW just incase i mess up because I'm a newbie :). I know that + is more advanced from the afterdawn glossary but thats about all i know im sorry to say. Would any of you fine experts share your knowledge of Whats the difference and which media type I should buy? Thanks alot you guys, These forums have really helped me so far XD.
    Also I would like to start burning PS2/XBOX games as well so can I use the same discs I buy for regular dvds?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  2. Kramerguy

Kramerguy Member

3. Kramerguy

Kramerguy Member

sigh, I decided to just guy -R thanks to the sticky.

4. vanila

vanila Member

I'm very new to this whole burning thing, but I heard the -RW format is readable on MACs. (That is: MACs can only read -RW's).
    I have no idea if this is true. I'm still investigating this.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey kramer, the - should be ok. My buddy has both ps2 and xbox. He mainly uses - tkd's,especially for his ps2. That xbox he has plays everything he thows at it. My step son's ps2, will play anything I throw at it,including +rw's which are harder for standalones to pick up. I mainly do + format,because my home burner for the tv is only +.

Stick with good to high quality media,and slow burn speed,those game players might be picky. You might have to find the right media to play on all of them.My backups are played on about 12 different stand alones. No problems with any of them reading my backups. I haven't found one of them yet that wouldn't play just 1 single format,even the ones that aren't suppose to support any dvdr's.

Which dvd burner did you buy?

Rule of thumb,old stand alones- - dash format
    newer stand alones + format

6. Kramerguy

Kramerguy Member

I bought the NEC 3500A.