1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

+RW to DVD-R - what's goin on?!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Tommo1, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Tommo1

Tommo1 Member

I'm sure this is a very simple fix, but can't get my head round it. Show copied from VHS to DVD +RW on standalone recorder. I'm trying to get it onto my hard drive to edit out commercials and other junk. Plays great on PC but, when ripped, only plays back first few seconds (anything from 7 seconds to 1 minute). Using DVDdecrypter, Nero Express 2, Tmpeg DVD authoring.......you name it, I've tried it! Any ideas appreciated.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

You mean the movie won't play on HD or DVD-R?

3. Tommo1

Tommo1 Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I can do a straight copy onto DVD-R. But, as I said, it's full of other junk that I don't want or need. Ultimately, I want to rip what's on the +RW & edit it, then write it to a final DVD-R. Can't understand why it plays fine straight from the +RW, but won't play back fully when ripped to the HD!

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

O.K., so you ripped a video to HD, and it wouldn't play right. But since you've made the DVD with a standalone recorder, please supply more info:
    1) What kind of files (mpegs? VOB?) do you have on the DVD?
    2) Are you sure the ripping was successful?

5. cannew

cannew Member

After you record vrom vhs to dvd, use DVD Shrink to open movie. Then use Re-author to edit out the commericals. Then backup (burn) to dvd.

6. Tommo1

Tommo1 Member

OK guys - think I've traced the problem to the DVD recorder itself.However, still interested in what procedure I should be following to get what I have over to DVD-R.
    To summarise - have copied VHS to DVD+RW. I 'ripped' the +RW to HD using Decrypter.(Think this went OK - hasn't let me down yet.) After reading through various other forums, learnt that VOB files can be renamed to MPEG & imported to Express/TMPEG. Tried it and it seemed to work.....although this may be my fatal mistake. If wrong, what should I be doing? (DVD shrink is great, but don't know if I'm able to create menus...etc)

7. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I'm not sure why you have to rename the .vobs. Nero can work directly with them. At Nero StartSmart, choose 'dvd', then 'make your own dvd video', 'add video files', then just pick the the vob files to include. You can create menus etc. at the later steps.
    Also, in case Nero cannot work with the vobs for some reason, I think it's better to change the vobs to mpegs, then follow the above steps. It's safer.

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

tmpgenc dvd author has a great cut and splice and menu/chapter making facility!, it will take your mpeg2 dvd compliant files and also convert them to vob/bup/ifo and burn to dvdr, all in the same app!