1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S point

Discussion in 'PS2' started by chill99, Mar 5, 2003.

1. chill99

chill99 Member

there cam be a brige acros the S point to the cap resistor araingemt becase this is effectivly a timing circuit and there is a track on the board that connects the two together neway so solder brige wont make nadifference to the opperation ov the chip az they are alredy connected neway

sori bout the spellin

2. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

Where exactly are you talking about? The S connects to one end of two resistors that are end-to-end. Are you saying that the S can be soldered to both those resistors?

IMO, the S is the hardest point to solder. This would make it a lot easier.

Thanks

3. chill99

chill99 Member

they are not 2 resistors there is 1 resistor(in black) and 1 capacitor (in cream/brown)

4. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

looked like a resistor to me. Call me blind.

But in any case, you can bridge that connection without harm?

5. chill99

chill99 Member

well yes ur r blind lol, no its just i have done alot of smd stuff and i kno the difference between the two, yeh u can brige the gap or solder 2 1 leg or solder 2 the other with no harm

6. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

strange. I remember specifically *not* bridging that gap (Getting some resistance with a multimeter). Next time I have my PS2 open i'll test it out.

7. chill99

chill99 Member

well they are deffinatly not 2 resistors so in theory there sdud be no effect do you kno what i mean when i say cap and resistor araingement?

8. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

Not exactly. Explain.

what I THINK I understand is that
    (see pic:
    http://www.the-console-corner.com/dia-m35-v7.jpg )

Where the arrow points towards the S, I can solder in between the cream on the left and the black on the right. As long as I hit one of the inner ends of either cream/black, I'm good. Also I'm good if I hit both inner ends.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2003
  9. chill99

chill99 Member

well when a resistor is connected in series with a cap it makes the cap charge up to the supply voltage slower than normal this can be worked out by the foumula resistance in ohms X capacitance in farads this will give you the time constant of the circuit, neway all thats irrelevent but all i am saying is that there is alreay a brige accros the 2 companats neway in the form of a track on the CB. imagin a restistor and cap solders to a piece of tinned wire, does it matter where on that wire u place ur other wir? no it doesnt because thay are still atached to that wire,, sori to be so long but its hard to make it clear with out speakin

10. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

all that is understood. I know simple physics at least =). Just didn't know that the resistor/capacitor were necessarily in series.

Regardless of what's going on down there, you can solder the two together because they're already connected.

11. chill99

chill99 Member

yes 2 updated question

12. chill99

chill99 Member

13. Sal24

Sal24 Member

Can anyone give an exact value for the cream chip on the left in the pic above? Is the cream chip the resistor or the capacitor and what is it's value? I knocked this chip off and need to replace it. Thanks

14. chill99

chill99 Member

the cream chip is the capacitor i do not know the value but i may be opening my ps2 up sometime to chainge my chip ill test it 4 u and post the value here

15. Sal24

Sal24 Member

By some crazy stroke of luck, I managed to get a new cream chip back on. Tore an extra one off a dead PS2 and manged to solder that tiny sucker back on. Was a bitch and it sits at a really weird side angle, but it works :)
    Took me about an hour of playing with it just to get it lined up and pinned down. They are so light the slightest tap makes it fly out of position.

-Sal

16. chill99

chill99 Member

well that dint take u long to find a spare ps2 :) P.S. i have sent u a personal message