1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-video cable to T.V. help!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JrIverson, Jun 1, 2004.

1. JrIverson

JrIverson Guest

Ok I got me an s-video to rca converter I plugged the s-video in to my PC then I took a wire and hooke it up both to the converter and my T.V. but I don't know how to make my PC screen appear on my T.V. so if I need a program please tell me. I really need help oh and if ther is a way to make my T.V. show up on my PC that would be cool to so PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

your gfx card should have twin view nip into properties
    and enable should work depending on your card

3. JrIverson

JrIverson Guest

On my laptop I have a Radeon IGP 345M, I tried to enable two monitors. And I'm sure it isn't my tv. My friend has a GeForece 4 MX440, he tried to use my adapter on my TV,and it worked fine. So I'm thinking it's either my S-Video port isn't working, my drivers aren't updated enough(I just updated them yesterday). Or just my vid card doesn't support S-Video, which doesn't make any sense, because it came with my laptop.

4. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

if you have a s-video socket on yer laptop then it supports it there must be somthing try reinstaling your gfx card drivers

5. JrIverson

JrIverson Guest

What does GFX stand for? Alsodo you AIM or MSN Messanger or any thing like that so me and you can just talk quicker?

6. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

I know of some dell laptops that have function keys.. the function key gets held down while u press another key will a secondary label on it usually matching the color of the function key... one of the secondary keys allows u to switch monitor modes... from lcd/external monitor/tv and dual view modes... u might of overlooked it

7. JrIverson

JrIverson Guest

I also have that button but it isn't working for me to well. I think the problem might be that I have a 4-pin s-video cable and a 7-pin laptop but my friend has a 7-pin PC and a 4-pin s-video cable and his works. I'm gonna try to use a 7-pin connecter and then I will tell you the result.

8. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

right just looked up this card and for what i can see it doesnt have a s-video connection also s-video leads only have 4 pins so it looks like the one on the back of lap top is the ps2 mouse conection because thats 7 pin well 6 acctually and 1 plastic notch is that the 1 your lookig at or is it me that thinking wrong

p.s gfx just save me writing grafix card.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]pentium 4 3,2ghz 1224mb ddr 2700
    120gig sata hdd
    gforce fx 5600 8x agp
    6.1 sound
    all times 3[/small]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  9. JrIverson

JrIverson Guest

No its not a mouse and yes it is a s-video on the back the picture above the thing has an s-video written in small letters. Oh and how in the world could you not find a 7-pin s-video cable? The new 7-pin was made for much higher quality.

10. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

see im learning as well i was just looking at the back of my laptop and my dvd and there just 4 pin
    and to make your tv show up on your pc you need vivo on your gfx card or one of them happauge win-tv thingy's for about $40

11. JrIverson

JrIverson Guest

I have a feeling your not good at this because you are getting every thing wrong. You don't need any thing for your TV. I am almost positive it has to do with the fact that I need a 7-pin s-video cable. The fact that you have a 4-pin on yours meens that you can't have the highest quality on your TV.

12. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

[I really need help oh and if ther is a way to make my T.V. show up on my PC that would be cool to so PLEASE HELP!!!!] so if you can show your tv on your pc screen your a better man than anyman because your radeon card doesent support it
    and as for s-video i dont use them i use componant better for projection tv's normal tv's are to small so idont use them. and i never said i was good at thing im just trying to help but now id take your laptop back to the shop get them to sort it out because if your lead works on your mates mx400 theres somthing wrong with your connection this is a diagram of a s-video lead

S-Video Pinout
    4 Pin Mini-Din plug

Solder/crimp view (or socket view)

4 + + 3
    2 + + 1 the only 1 i could find
    __

right just looked for this 7 pin s-video and they dont exist according to the new electronic book that ihave that is upto date plus im at home now just checked all 15 dvd players 3 pc's all brand new none of them have 7 pins so it must just be availabl in the usa then and not here in the uk.

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.co...s-video+to+rca&client=ca-pub-5626074131133514
    _
    right have a look at this shortcut like i said ill go out of my way to help anyone so here yer go http://www.svideo.com/compaq1700.html
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]pentium 4 3,2ghz 1gig ddr 2700
    120gig sata hdd
    gforce fx 5600 8x agp
    6.1 sound
    all times 3[/small]

13. JrIverson

JrIverson Guest

On the last site in that list if you would actually read it this is what it said "Computer manufacturers have not standardized on what jack to use - the 7 or 4 pin jack, but our adapters are cross-brand and are PC/MAC compatible and will fit either the 7-pin or 4-pin jack." Did you notice the "7-pin" part?

14. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

Oh and how in the world could you not find a 7-pin s-video cable? quote

like it said not standard so how the hell in the world should anyone know like the site that i found it on about 20 on there never heard of them

but did that site help.
    p.s im on msn now
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]pentium 4 3,2ghz 1gig ddr 2700
    120gig sata hdd
    gforce fx 5600 8x agp
    6.1 sound
    all times 3[/small]

15. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

If you know for a fact that you have a Y/C (or S-video) input on your PC, then there is a small software utility you use to display this input in windows.
    You also have to probably install a device driver for the capture device first. All this software & more comes with an ASUS video board, for example.
    Y/C is standard composite video, broken down into its chrominance and luminance components (the black & white image + a colour signal). This is usually accomplished with a comb filter so, if you import Y/C into your computer then you're not combing with your capture device, you're using the comb from your source. What I mean is, the choice whether you use composite or s-vid lines is determined by where is your top-quality comb filter.
    There are 4 Y/C pins on my GeForceFX's s-vid output, but 7 pins on the input (!) They both have the 4 standard pins in common. The 7-pin thing is proprietary use of the extra three channels, and not some kind of super s-vid that I'm aware of. [Comments on this?]
    You are fortunate Iverson, to have kcc76 tryin' to help ya in this relatively obscure field of knowledge!
    L8R

16. JrIverson

JrIverson Guest

WOW!!! That is really canfusing.

17. fuctphil

fuctphil Member

18. HAL9042

HAL9042 Member

I think this is what you need to do:

Go to the Control Panel
    Open "Display"
    Click on the "Settings" tab
    Click on the "Advanced" button
    Look for a setting that allows you to determine your video output. On my computer it is under the "Displays" tab.
    Mess with the settings until you get output to the TV. There may be a delay before it starts outputting. In fact, it might not output until you hit "ok" or "apply".

If that is your only video port, then it is probably only an output and you would need a different or additional card to input video.

As for the 7-pin s-video plug...
    On my laptop, the port has 7 pins. The 4 outer pins line up with an s-video connector, and output in s-video format. In addition, 2 of the 3 inner pins output in composite video format (like what goes through an RCA cable.)
    My laptop came with a little cord that just wired those two inner pins to an RCA plug. I lost mine, but I found someone selling them on eBay for 6.99$

-Charles

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Ever wanted to use SNES or NES controllers on your PC?
    ---> http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~tabony/snestopc <---[/small]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  19. Txrtrav

Txrtrav Member

Hey i just got a s video cable and i hooked it up to my big screen tv.I can see my desktop and stuff but its very fuzzy.Is this because my tv is to big or is there a prob with the cable?

Please help me out

Thanks
    Travis

20. Txrtrav

Txrtrav Member

Aso i checked on my comp and it has a 7 pin but my bigscreen has 4 pin.............