1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video Cable

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by sean5775, Jan 4, 2005.

1. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I have had problems when trying to connect up S-Video Cables for my home theatre system. I don't have any model numbers for my equipment but if it matters I can get them.

Whats happening is the picture only works in black and white while using the S-Video cables. whether I go through the reciever or not, and no matter what DVD player I use etc. I have played with settings on all the equipment and havent found anything to do with this.

I am now starting to think that my TV is the problem its the only common thing in all my situations. And yes I have tried several cables. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. d-rock

d-rock Guest

do you have this same problem when using composite video outputs? do you have another tv you could try your player on?

3. d-rock

d-rock Guest

do you have this same problem when using composite video outputs? do you have another tv you could try your player on?

4. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Sean,

I have a strange problem using my S-video cable with my TV as well. I can not use "S-video" AND a "composet" cable at the same time. My TV seems to freak out and i get major disturbance. But, if i ONLY use s-video every thing is just fine.

Now that i have a reciever that convertes my composet to s-video, i only run an s-video to my TV and everything looks great.....

Try disconecting everything but the S-video cable and see what happens.

5. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

When I try this, the only wire from my reciever or DVD player to the tv is the S-Video cable. Even if I unhook everything and only hook the S-video to the TV it is still in black and white, I have tried 3 different DVD players, but I only have the one tv that has an S-Video input. The DVD player works fine with RCA cables or component video, Its too bad my reciever does not support component video. I guess the only surefire way to know if its the TV or not is to try another TV.

6. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

yeah sean, i bet it's the TV.

I guess you'll just have to buy a new one!!!!!! lol

7. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I was planning on a new one anyways, but no big rush, Im not gonna rush out and get a new TV just because of this.

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Before you do anything drastic, try a another s video cable to make sure that's not the problem. S video has two seperate signals(chrominance in luminance) so maybe part of the cable is tweaked. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  10. GatlinGun

GatlinGun Regular member

Go inside your DVD player(menu) and select Super VHS. That should solve the problem.

11. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

GatlinGun, what kind of a DVD player do you have?

12. dmarque

dmarque Member

Sean:

I am new to the DB and this is my first post. I read your posted issue and am certain I can help. The S-Video cables were a nice upgrade when they came out about 15 years ago. The attempt to provide better color separation came at a small cost however. The cost is convenience in hookup. They are effective and certainly enhance the quality of your picture over RCA connections.

As for addressing your problem. The MOST LIKELY solution is damage to one of the pins in one end of your S-Cable. If you take a magnifying glass and inspect each end you MIGHT see a bent pin. If it is not easily apparent that a pin is bent then it might be fatigue or a hairline crack.

Try to make sure the pins are straight.....When you insert each end into the component make very certain that the black key is lined up to go in properly to the component. DO NOT TWIST as you insert the cable. It is helpful to mark the outer shell with a white out marker line so you can see easily where the key end is when you are installing.

If after
    1.Inspecting the pins and find them visibly OK.
    2. Re-seating the cable to be sure they're in solid.

Try again with another S-Cable. I find that most retail dealers will replace S-Cables if you have a good relationship with them. See if they will do that for you. It often requires them to send yours back to the manufacturer for replacement.

I am certain that your problem rests with a cracked or bent pin. Again, if it is not visibly bent try another cable.

Respectfully,

Dmarque

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005