1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video Problem - 9800 GTX+ / Dual-monitor setup

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by necrowyn, Aug 9, 2009.

1. necrowyn

necrowyn Member

To begin with, I am using an XFX Geforce 9800 GTX+ video card, with the latest NVidia drivers, and software. I have dual monitors plugged in atm, a 24" wide screen and a standard 21" monitor. I went ahead and bought a 7-pin S-Video wire -> RCA connection wire to fit my TV from s-video.com. Through the NVidia software, I tried doing a 1 Monitor/TV dual monitor setup, and was able to see a picture on my TV for maybe 1-2 seconds as it was 'loading' the settings, fizzling into a gray/black fuzz.. kinda of like when you lose your cable signal, but no noise.

Every now and then a partial image will flash on the screen.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I am using the latest drivers/software that I just downloaded, and have high hopes for gettin this going. I really want to watch movies without having to convert/burn dvds.

2. necrowyn

necrowyn Member

No one has any idea on how to fix this? I spent 3 hours last night looking through google and these forums for a solution, but w/ no luck.

Wire: http://www.svideo.com/prosvideo24.html
    Card: XFX Geforce 9800 GTX+
    TV: 4-5 Year Old Samsung (RCA)

3. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

Does it give the same problem when you try running it alone, without a dual monitor type of setup?

4. necrowyn

necrowyn Member

Yes. I set a hotkey to toggle just the TV, and it still is blank or static-ish.

It always shows up in one form or another when I hit apply to new resolution settings for a brief moment.. 1-2 seconds.. and then it flashes back to a static screen.

Any ideas?

5. necrowyn

necrowyn Member

6. necrowyn

necrowyn Member

Anyone?

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I've had that happen can't quite remember how i sorted it out,i think i setup so monitor was working first,then while tv is on rebooted computer,there is another issue you have s-video to RCA will only give you a black n white picture,it would be better s-vid to s-vid cable,i'm sure the no picture is a detection issue,the fact you get a flash of a picture suggests a reboot is in order

EDIT:
    Make sure you also have unticked "use single monitor"

You may find that using the original install cd driver would be best to start off with until both screens display,shouldn't really matter however i'm unable to upgrade mine as it stops my media players displaying a video if played

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  8. dailun

dailun Active member

S-video isn't 7 wire, it's 4.

Most of the cards in that series do NOT support S-Video.

What is the EXACT model number of your card?

From what I'm reading on the manufacturer's website, in order to do dual video you HAVE to use the DVI connectors.

Here are the the manufacturer's specs for model PV-T98W-YDFF

The spec sheet states S-Video = 0

The round connector at the top is apparently NOT for S-Video. It looks like it's for their special breakout box which appears to be for progressive scan video.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You are correct it isn't s-vid,however it can be used to run a monitor,it's a waste of time tho he has only RCA's on the samsung so the best he'll get is a black n white pik,unless it has a s-vid port on it then all that's needed is the adaptor for the graphic card to drop it to an s-vid connection that way he'll get colour.

Actually that breakout box you mention,there was a what i'd call an adaptor box,3"long x 1.5" wide that came with mine that adpated that 7 pin to the red,green,blue RCA's it also has an s-vid connector on it, is that what you mean by "breakout box" ?,that adaptor box is how i'm getting colour onto my crt tv thru 5 pin s-vid or is it 4 pin, meh i can't be bothered walking to the lounge..lol..

EDIT: Since he's using the 7 pin adpator to RCA he should still get a picture,he did mention flashes,the reason he hasn't is the tv was turned on after the comp had booted,however he still needs to make sure that the software that controls the graphic card isn't set to single monitor & to be set to clone,by rights once that's done & rebooted it should all work,it certainly did with mine,could be an issue if the graphic card doesn't support tv tho (if your software has tv settings your good to go) in which case another monitor will be needed

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  10. dailun

dailun Active member

Yes, breakout box = adapter box.

I was working on an issue with breakout boxes when I typed my response.

If that adapter has a TRUE S-video connector then he should be able to get a color video onto his TV, but if he only has s-video input to the TV.

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It sounds like he got a 7 pin adaptor with RCA's on it which one has to assume is the green,blue,red ?,that sux black n white picture is horrible it's ok for a boot screen but not to watch as a main screen,it takes me back to when i was a kid watching a B&W TV..*SHIVERS*..

12. necrowyn

necrowyn Member

I have the Red Yellow and White adapter. I got a picture but it displays B&W.

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yep that's correct,if you want a color picture you need an s-video input on the tv at the minimum, or vga or HDMI,so for now your stuck until you get a later tv,at least you got the picture now