1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video to RCA

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by LiNx88, Mar 25, 2005.

1. LiNx88

LiNx88 Member

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to make your own convertor to convert an s-video input into RCA. I really don't want to fork out money for one off of ebay.

-LiNx

2. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

My tv tuner card for my PC came with a converter that changes RCA to Svideo. It is simply just a female RCA jack with a male Svideo jack on the other end. A totally passive device.

I used it to run RCA to Svideo and it creates many diagnal black dots onthe screen. This is because the signal from RCA was being split and sent to every single input on the Svideo line. This same cable could be use to go the other way Svideo to RCA, but you get the same video problems.

My point is that even though you can "see" the picture on the TV, I would never recomend to anyone that they invite freinds over to watch a movie with it like that. It would get anoying very quickly.

The fact is you are trying to convert one video format into another, and the only way to do that properly is to buy a converter box of some sort. If you buy that on EBay or at walmart I cant say that it would be any different.

If you are still stuck on making the cord yourself then look on the web, there are DIY's on just about anything.

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

3. shaggy15

shaggy15 Member

Hi, I bought a RCA cable, just video, and i connected to the tv and the pc. Everything works fine if you restart the computer. I need to find a way i can see the video on the tv without restarting my computer. Is there any button i have to press or something else.

Any suggestions would be great!!

4. max777

max777 Member

There's one at radioshack.com -- it's $20 (but I think street price is $10 anywhere else) and I don't know how they work or how good they are. I have this one and can't really tell any difference between svideo and "RCA"

It's just a small adapter.