1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-video vs. composite video...

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by mduga, Mar 31, 2007.

1. mduga

mduga Regular member

I have a rear projection 57" tv. i am hooking my dvd player up to it either through s-video or composite video cables. is there gonna be much of a difference in quality? what about if i used component cables?

i am trying to figure out how to wire my tv and my receiver so i can get surround sound and good picture quality. the problem is, my receiver only will take composite video. if i hook the dvd player directly to the tv, the sound will be missing the center channel, because i have the center channel cable hooked into my tv's center channel output, so i don't have to use another speaker. the problem is it will only play in input 1 and if i select a different input, its not going to play the center channel... i have a center speaker i could use, but nowhere to put it, since you can't set it on top (projection tv).

so the only choice i really have is to hook the dvd player through the receivers composite hookups. i also have a dolby digital setting on my receiver, but it won't turn on. do i need to use fiber optic wires for this to work? how much better will it be from dolby pro logic?

thanks for any suggestions or help?

-duga-

2. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Component is a masive improvement over composite and S-video,
    So if you can use Component do so. you see the biggest diffence on text, and credits as component gives a much sharper picture, but if you have good Q Composite or S-Video cable then you will only see a small differance in most movies. but component is the way to go, only problem its 3 cables not one.

3. mduga

mduga Regular member

can i just use my composite cables, and use them as component cables, or are the component cables different? there is 3 cables on each. i know the composite cables have 2 sound cables, but can they just be used for component video instead? also, how much better is dolby digital, then pro logic?

thanks,
    -duga-

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  4. sl6680

sl6680 Member

Hi.you can't use composite as component.Composite is 3 cables which is 1 video and 2 audio.Component is 3 cables which all video, you will need 2 more cables for audio.Component will give you mach more quality than composite.

5. mduga

mduga Regular member

i realize that 2 are for audio on composite wires, but they all look to be made from the same type of wiring and the plugs are the same also... the gauge of the wire is also the same. i am sure that the audio wires on the composite wires will also work for video. i have tried it and it works...

i am just wondering if i already have high quality composites, if i could just use them to connect component video... or do the component wires use something else inside the wire to get a better picture?

6. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

I not 100% on the resistance of the cable, but there nothing too special and if you have spare and don't want them colour coded, I can't see why not.

Also yes you will need a digital connection normaly Optical for your dolby pro logic to work, The good thing about digital tho is you don't have to get expensive cables.

7. mduga

mduga Regular member

Got everything to work out nicely now. Thanks guys.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes three high quality Composite Video cables can be use for Component Video. All the wires are 75 OHM Coax cables with RCA or BNC connectors at the ends.

It isn't a good practice to use coax cables for audio since audio cables are not 75 OHM and should be balanced (Coax cables are not balanced). It will still work but possible equipment longevity and sound quality may be hampered.

Dolby Digital offers discrete 6 Channel (5.1 surround) playback. That means that Dolby Digital is clearer and defines a much better sound field than Pro Logic II can. Pro Logic II takes stereo sound or an analog 2-Channel downmix (from a Dolby Digital source i.e. DVD) and makes it into 5.1 surround sound. It is not discrete (it is surround matrix) so it isn't as clear but usually does an excellent job when Dolby Digital is impossible.

For more on Dolby technologies...
    http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/tech_overview.html

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007