1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe Compression Rates for Shrink, IFO?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by F43, Feb 10, 2005.

1. F43

F43 Member

Hello :)

Maybe I am paranoid, but I am wondering what is a very safe, conservative rate of compression for Shrink? 50%?, 60% etc? I know this is all subjective, just wanted some opinions.

As a sidenote, playback compatability is as important to me as quality. I seem to have a finicky Akai dvd player. I have gotten it to accept my disks (dvd-r Fuji Japan) but only after recording at 1 or 2X which I don't mind since I have the time :) Furthermore, I really don't mind splitting up my disks (for example 8GB) into 2: 1 with main movie and menus and the 2nd with menus and all of the extras, can this be done successfully? BTW, what is an IFO? Shrink mentions Main Movie and IFO? I am guessing they are the basic menus needed to navigate?

2. fez1122

fez1122 Member

hey i have recently backed up a movie which was at 60% compression, then burned it at 8x speed and got surprising results. I couldnt notice a difference in the original and backup. Hope it works for u
    Too da loos

3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

1) I agree with fez1122 that sometimes movies compressed to 60% can still be very good in terms of quality.

2) If you don't mind splitting a DVD into two discs to maximize on quality, DVD FAB is a good choice.

3) Re. IFO, read here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/ifo.cfm