1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe to write (w/Sharpie?) on Ritek G03 Silver top discs?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by smokeatr5, Dec 19, 2004.

1. smokeatr5

smokeatr5 Member

What can I use to mark/write on my Ritek G03 blank Silver top dvds'? These do not have a specific area for writing, but I wonder if there's a specific type marker that is safe to use, if at all?

Thanks for the help.

smokeater5

2. peachman

peachman Member

A Sharpie will work fine

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I've bought some other markers that won't work on shiny brands (that felt tip crap). Any quick-drying permanent marker should do, but Sharpie brand (fine point) works the best for me. Mine even says for CDs.

4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

I WOULD AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY WITH THIS

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  5. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

sorry for caps earlier. labels look more professional but can cause problems sometimes - direct on dvd/media inkjet or thermal printing probably best labeling option to achieve commercial looking back ups but may need special printable surface media ( mo' momey,mo' money) so on a cost performance efficiency basis sharpie marker probably best bet ! peace

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

YES AGREED - SHARPIE PENS GOOD BUT ANY GOOD BRAND WILL WORK AS PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED. PEACE

7. Doom1234

Doom1234 Guest

I use those file folder labels. They seem to work great. You can get the printable ones and print them out and sticks right on your shinny dvds. Looks a lot better then magic marker.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2004
  8. smokeatr5

smokeatr5 Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
    I hasn't sure if the solvents in the markers were a risk to the disk or not. I have a slight recollection of someone mentioning penetrating the disk and affecting the dye?

Doom1234...have you noticed any issues with the disk being off balance with the label being only on one side? I've read (possibly on AD?) that even the full size round labels can potentially cause balance issues in the drive.

Does anyone have sense for whether this is much of an issue or not?

smokeater5

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello smoke, Sharpies and reg cd writing pens only for me. I have gotten a hold of a buddy's dvd and it had the small label covering the inner ring of disc. That one was off balanced. I had to peel it off,and it played ok. If you are wanting to use the full disc labels, quite a few people use the laser thermal printers.

10. Doom1234

Doom1234 Guest

smokeatr5,
    I've never had an issue playing any dvd's with the file folder label on 5 of my dvd players. Been doing it for about 4 years now and they still play perfect. The full cd/dvd labels you buy at stores like Staples and Office max I did have problems with getting hot and peeling off inside the player itself already. I don't recomend them to anyone to use.

11. smokeatr5

smokeatr5 Member

Thanks again.
    Recap: Sharpies good, small folder labels no noticable problems.

Thanks guys.

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That got started way back with CD-R's since you were writing directly to the reflective layer but it was never fully substantiated and more of an urban legend than anything.

With DVDs there isn't even a remote chance of the ink getting through since there are two protective layers over the reflective layer. Here's a good link that show's what I'm talking about:

http://www.videointerchange.com/dvd.htm#DVD

13. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

if it works for you great ! it obviously has for 4 years now. I would be concerned with the fact that your file folder label might unbalance your dvd with the label's weight all being in one area as opposed to a regular or full faced label that spreads the little weight it adds over the full face of the disc.no critiscizm just my opinion . the file folder labels work with your set up so keep on keepin' on ! but for others one might consider this I recently surfed the verbatim website and they actually reccommended sharpie pens to label their media . Go figure! anyway whatever works for you . Peace my friend - Seasoned Greetings !

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  14. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

sorry wrong party but the post was right -Was'nt it ? lol-peace

15. smokeatr5

smokeatr5 Member

Thanks Nephilim & Bigtoxy69...feel better now.

Bigtoxy69, yes I had the same concerns about the uneven weight distribution. I thought if a full disc label could pose a balance problem, then surely a label on 1 side only would make things worse.
    It appears Doom1234 is proof positive that some things that don't appear right can still work! Thanks Doom1234

Have a great afternoon guys...or whoever is hiding behind those names! ;)

16. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

And what I like best about the markers is that you can always erase it with a little alcohol even years later. (I know alchohol is a solvent, but I didn't say douse the DVD in it - just moisten a Kleenex with it and it works great especially on my rewritables.)