1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saints Row The Third - backup DVD issues

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by nki00, Jan 18, 2013.

1. nki00

nki00 Regular member

I just re-modded my Samsung drive with iXtreme LT v2.01 patch. I then burned the "Saints Row The Third" that I downloaded off the web, using "good" Verbatim discs (they always produced good burns for me before.) The game loads up just fine but then I start having issues with it:

1. The Whored Mode is all messed up. The character can't move, the rendering is all funky.

2. When I start the campaign mode and then click "done" to go back to the main menu, the game freezes up so that I have to restart the xbox.

Note that when I play the game off my original DVD it works fine and none of these issues happen.

So I'm wondering, since the XGD3 games have to be cut off at the end to fit the standard 8GB disc size, can that mess this game up? Or what else could be causing this issue?

2. BillB

BillB Regular member

Sounds like you need a iHas Liteon burner (or equivalent) flashed with BurnerMax to write the entire image. An iHas124B is what I use. Are your XGD3 backups truncated? If so, then that's your problem. The burnermax firmware writes the entire XGD3 image. Make sure you run the image through abgx and all is clear before you burn. Truncated burns no longer work on newer dashboard versions. Also, when you burn an XGD3, you need to change your layer break settings. When burning an XGD3 image, in imgburn you need to change the layer break to 2133520, instead of 1913760 for older games. I hope this helps. If not, please ask questions.

3. nki00

nki00 Regular member

Thanks for suggestions.

Since I posted this question I tried burning another game Gears of War 3. I forgot about the layer break setting and burned it without setting one. Here's the log from ImgBurn:

As you see the LB is not what you posted. I tried playing it on my 360 with the Samsung TS-H943 DVD drive modded with LT v.2.01 and it starts just fine and I was even able to play Horde mode with it but then when the level was reloading it got hung up again and I had to restart the console.

Do you think that layer break setting could've done that? I read somewhere that the LB doesn't matter anymore for latest firmware versions.

4. RIARA

RIARA Regular member

you did 2 things wrong there, you didnt change the layerbreak to 2133520 and you truncated the image. you just split the image in half. if you are not going to use an iHas burner for your discs then you need to get the BurnerMax Payload tool, it allows you to use any burner for XGD3 titles. You can get it here, Downloads: BurnerMAX v0.15

5. nki00

nki00 Regular member

@RIARA Thanks! I tried the BurnerMax Payload tool and this is what it showed:

So I guess it doesn't work with my drive :(

So guys, can you recommend a DVD burner off Newegg or Amazon that you know would work?

6. RIARA

RIARA Regular member

i dont know, i have never used it before but, i found these instructions on how to use it

How it Works
    -----------------

Load your favorite burning software. Insert your blank DVD+R DL disc. Send the BurnerMAX Payload. Re-select your drive in the burner software and the capacity will be increased.
    You will need to send the BurnerMAX Payload evertime you insert a blank DVD+R DL disc.

Special vendor specific commands are sent to examine in realtime the drives custom registers, searching for specific DVD+R DL blank media capacity and layer capacity parameters.

If found these registers are modified using another set of vendor specific commands.

Due to the use of stock firmware and different burner makes and models, any settings the burner has play a more important role.

For iHas burners B, C and D, recommended settings are:

Force Hypertuning - Enabled
    Online Hypertung - Disabled
    Smartburn - Enabled
    Overspeed - Enabled
    OPC history - Do not clear

Results may vary depending on hardware and disc brand.

Verbatim DVD+R DL (Singapore Manufactured) Blank Discs are recommended for best results.

7. nki00

nki00 Regular member

8. RIARA

RIARA Regular member

I read some of the reviews on there and they say that it does work with BurnerMax. I'd give it a go, heck, you might even get lucky and end up with a "B" version of the drive.

Official release of the BurnerMAX Payload Tool - works with most MTK chipset based DVD burners (Liteon etc)

- No need to flash burner firmware. Delivers a realtime payload to increase capacity of DVD+R DL discs to support XGD3

- Support for stock iHas B, C, and D burners, all makes and models
    - Support for many of the Liteon iHAS Clones
    - Supports many other mnodels such as ASUS, Samsung, Pioneer and many others
    - Supports many Liteon and Samsung USB External Burners
    - Supports many Liteon IDE Burners
    - Supports any disc burning software - we recommend iMGBURN

9. nki00

nki00 Regular member

Thanks for your help. I ordered one. I'll post a follow-up in here when I get it.

Just from curiosity, how would I know if I get a "B" version? (And I read somewhere that if it's a B version then I won't have to do BurnerMAX Payload Tool fix, right? So what is it, just like before -- you put the empty Verbatim 8GB disc in and just straight burn it?)

10. RIARA

RIARA Regular member

when you get the drive, just look on the label. if you do get a "B" version then you could either use the BurnerMAX Payload Tool or you could just flash it with BurnerMax. You also have to tweak your settings:

For iHas burners B, C and D, recommended settings are:

Force Hypertuning - Enabled
    Online Hypertung - Disabled
    Smartburn - Enabled
    Overspeed - Enabled
    OPC history - Do not clear

And yes, stick with the verbs. Then you gotta run your burns thru KProbe to check if it is a good burn. You might want to look into getting yourself an xK3y, no burning discs and no KProbe. You just rip, run thru ABGX, load iso file onto hard drive and run your games off that. The initial cost for everything is pricey but, well worth it in the long run.

11. nki00

nki00 Regular member

I eventually got the iHAS drive (linked above.) It wasn't B model, but I was able to use BurnerMAX Payload Tool fix suggested above to burn the full-sized game. Thanks for your help again!

12. richietea

richietea Regular member

Quote "I then burned the "Saints Row The Third" that I downloaded off the web",didn't anyone else see the error before helping on this thread?? You should edit your original post,but its a little late now!!