1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sakura PS2 goes to standby, doesn't play discs anymore.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by vich, Mar 8, 2003.

1. vich

vich Member

short story;
    got Sakura PS2 (Japanese) a few days ago. Checked carefully about PSU (I live in UK), use step-down (the one supplied) into 2to3 pin converter. After a hour or 2, after playing a Japanese DVD, and in the middle of playing a Japanese game, the PS2 goes, it switches off.

The step-down light indicator is off, it doesn't work and is VERY hot. I take out and use another step-down i've got.
    The PS2 powers up, but whenever I put a disc into the drive and close it, the PS2 goes to standby..

I try a few times, same thing. At least I know the PS2 still powers up and obviously hasn't been fried. 'Ok', i thought, go to sleep and try again tommorow. 'might just be condensation or whatever due to it being an import'.

I try again this morning, same thing, but now I realise if just the tray, regardless, it goes to standby. I try a few more times, unpluggin switching off.
    Then, it decides to go to standby as soon as I power up (green light on reset switch)..

I'm panicky.. -_-

Try a few more times and get it back so I can use the browser again; so now the problem is as soon as I close the disc tray, the PS2 decides to go to standby straight away..

Can anyone help or has had a situation like this before.

I'm not sure SCE UK would be too willing to help me (considering it's a NTSC JPN PS2) here anyway, and sending it all the way back to Hong Kong is a hassle.. and I really really like my Sakura colour PS2..

As far as I can see, I can access browser screen, so the PSU shouldn't be damaged. I thought it might be a lens problem, but it goes to standby AS soon as the disc tray closes..

thnx^.~

2. vich

vich Member

okay, I guess I may have to hassle of returning my PS2 afterall..

-_-