1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sales this week

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by bbthumper, Jan 15, 2005.

1. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

...this thread is from last week. Sorry, its been hijacked so don't go by these sales.........

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2005
  2. J_man

J_man Regular member

Sams Club everyday price!!!
    50pk spindle Verbatim 8x+R Branded -- $22.00

3. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I would take 60 Maxell for 19.96 over 50 Verbatim for 22.00 every time.

4. bigdm

bigdm Member

All,
    As noted there is a lot of sales on DVD media this week. I have a HP computer which has a DVD + R / +RW drive. Could someone comment on which of the following might work best with my drive?

HP DVD+R $17.94 50PK
    VERBATIM DIGITAL MOVIE REEL DVD+R $12.99 25PK
    FUJIFILM DVD+R $19.99 50PK
    MAXWELL DVD+R $ 4.99 15PK
    TDK DVD+R $19.99 50PK (label says made in Japan)

I have never used any of the above media. I started using Memorex media and then after looking at digitalfaq linked ordered some TY disk. Now I am running out and would like buy some more media. I know that some of these sales have been mentioned above, but I am repeating because I want to make sure you know what media I am considering and what drive I have. The HP drive is the one they sold with their computer just before they started offering +R/-R drive combo. The only reason I am including the HP media in the above list is could this be more compatible with my HP drive than the others even if they are better media.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  5. bigdm

bigdm Member

Can I get some help on my post?

Thanks,
    Bigdm

6. Veblin

Veblin Active member

I imagine any of those would be a good choice, except for the MAXWELL's.

If MAXELL's were available instead of those crummy MAXWELL's, they would also be a good choice.

7. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

LOL on MaxWell's

I just checked Office Depot for the maxell sale and I didn't see a sale. Is it in store only?

8. jay33

jay33 Regular member

In-store only. Stores liek Wal-Mart will price match this, also.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey bigwop, I also tried to find office depots sale on maxell's on their web site. You have to really look hard for it in the store's "weekly sales" page. I am headed there tomorrow.

Hey J_man, what code are on those verbatim 8x's at sams club?

10. bigdm

bigdm Member

Sorry for the Maxwell typo. I decided to go with the Maxell DVDs. I bought the last 8 packs they had on a table at the front of the store. I actually walked by the table the 1st time to their DVD media shelf and there were none there. I figured they were all bought on Sunday and was heading out of the store when I saw the front display table. Lucky! Lucky! Lucky! I was contemplating getting the Verbatim but they were 4x and it said made in Tiawain. I see so many post to buy disk made from Japan that I was not sure if all Verbatim disks were made in Tiawain and that those post did not apply to that company. The deal at SAM's appeared to be a much better deal

Bigdm

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey bigdm, those maxell + should check out as ricohjpn-01's. I have no trouble will any of my media with that code,Made in taiwan. Those tdk's should be pretty good ,made in japan. I keep missing those sales on them.

Verbatims made in japan mcc003 are far better than the ones made in taiwan,mcc002. That is why I was wandering which media code was on the sam's club verbs.

My local office depot was out of the maxell -4x 15 pack yellow tops when I went there this morning.I did pick up 6 packs of the +4x. They check out as ricohjpn01-02 made in taiwan. Burned 8 of them already and reripped 1 of them,no problems.

12. bigdm

bigdm Member

Having problems verifying manufacturer of maxell disc? I have a post asking for help. I burn two discs today with no problem. I bought the TDK disc last week Thurday and was planning on returning them since I now have the Maxell, but I wanted to see who manufacturer the them first. If I can get my drives to read the MID I am tempted to open the TDK 50 pack to see who manufactures them. If someone good I might keep them.

bigdm

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

14. bigdm

bigdm Member

Just used DVD Identifier and that did not work. Below is the status report.

[23:47:48] DVD Identifier V3.6
    [23:47:48] Initializing ASPI/SPTI Drive Interface
    [23:47:48] SPTI Drive Interface Successfully Initialized
    [23:47:48] 1 Supported Drive Found (Out Of 2 Available Drives)
    [23:47:48] Manufacturer Database [03-JAN-05@485$75] Loaded From File : (@485$75) Entries Found
    [23:47:48] Internet Version Check Has Been Disabled By The User
    [23:48:17] DVD+R/+RW Medium Detected. Starting Identification...
    [23:48:17] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 1 (Original ADIP)
    [23:48:17] ADIP Read M1 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [23:48:17] ADIP Read Method 1 Not Supported ; A Firmware Upgrade Is Recommended
    [23:48:17] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 2 (Copy Of ADIP)
    [23:48:17] ADIP Read M2 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [23:48:17] ADIP Read Method 2 Requires A Written DVD+R/+RW Disc
    [23:48:17] Disc Identification Did Not Complete Successfully

15. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i just bought some of the maxell dvd-r's at office depot today. glad to hear they check out as ricohjpn. the first blank dvd's i ever bought were maxell's and they were TYG04. so it seems maxells are usually a safe bet. i actually like them better than my verbatims.
    speaking of verbatim...for those who use their datalife dvds, u may want to check your local office depot in the clearance section. today i saw some dvd+/-r 15 pks for $6 and 25 pks for $12. they also had other brands on clearance, imation, tdk, phillps, and more. plus some cd-r. make sure to look for the clearance section, though because these weren't in the media section.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  16. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

bigdm

Try www.dvdinfopro.com

Use the free version

17. bigdm

bigdm Member

I already tried the free version of DVDinfopro. It does not give me the media manufacturer code

18. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Are you sure about this? Do you know what you are looking for? Are you saying that it reports a blank screen for the media manufacturer code?

19. kchev

kchev Regular member

he is saying his drive can't read the manufacturer id on the disc. it can happen, it has happened to me

it is because the drive needs a firmware upgrade or the drive does not really like the media

they will still usually burn them, they just can't read the manufacturer id for whatever reason

20. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey bigdm, did you try the dvdinfopro or identifier on those memorex discs that you have already burned?

Your hp burner's firmware may not be able to handle those maxell's. Since you can't get either programs to work on the new maxell's,trying your memorex backups and see if it will bring up the manufacturing code.

I haven't heard too many good things about hp burners.Later