1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same discs-different speeds-new problems?!?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gexplorer, Mar 11, 2004.

1. gexplorer

gexplorer Guest

Ok, here's the deal:
    I used 4X primedisc dvd-r to record movies, but I always recorded at 2X. Most of the recordings I've done show no problems on my dvd (thomson 5000). Now I bought some Primediscs 2X (cheaper). These dvd-rs are the same as the first ones, only slower. But I still record these at 2X. The problem is that these are giving me problems when reading on the Thomson.

Note: Thomsons seem to have problems reading dvd-r, so I bought a denver. Almost all 4X primediscs play well in the Thomson and in the Denver, but all 2X primedisc have problems with the thomson but play well in the Denver.
    Any sugestions?
    Cheers

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That one's easy... shitcan the discs that don't work. I would assume they are different dyes and maybe even different makers, What do both ID as in DVDInfo Pro?

3. gexplorer

gexplorer Guest

Whoa there! I said that the dvds didn't work WITH the Thomson, but work great with the Denver. The 2X are Ritek 03 and the 4X are Ritek 04...

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Since you already know that the Thomson has problems with DVD-Rs, it's fairly safe to assume that the player just doesn't like that media. In my limited experience with Ritek G03s (around 70 of them), they aren't as good as G04s. After burning the first 20 or so G03s at 2x with no problems, I started getting bad discs (freezing at the end mostly). When I changed my burning speed to 1x the problems dissappeared completely. In my case it didn't matter what player I tried. Even playing them on my PC didn't work.

Obviously that's not your problem since your discs only seem to have problems on one player, but I'm sure you see my point about the quality difference. I'd stick with the G04s if I were you. I swear by them.

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

The G03's are different (not the same dye as the G04's), it appears your player doesn't like them.

I do not agree with the poster that they are not as good as the G04's, in his case he must have had a bad batch (CD Freaks feel that Riteks can vary a bit from batch to batch). I've never had any problems with the G03's (the ones that say RIDATA on the hub appear to be the best or the Verbatim branded ones). There is always the on-going discussion of 'Grade A' Riteks, but in your case they appear to be a bad match for your standalone.

For some reason it seems that if there are problems with spindles it's always the ones at the bottom of the stack. I always start with the bottom discs, if these burn well they all should.

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

That's a good point. With Riteks, if you get bad discs, the first thing to be suspicious of is the handling from the time they left the Ritek factory and the time they were put on the spindle (I don't believe Ritek does this themselves anyway), and the discs at the bottom are the first ones to be damaged.