1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same video file- different behavior of Media player classic v6.4.9.0 on two different laptops

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by jedi_001, Jan 22, 2007.

1. jedi_001

jedi_001 Member

Hi,

I have a video file (video stream - div 3, audio stream MP3 ----- info as shown by Gspot) that plays perfectly without any errors or problems on one laptop that has Media Player Classic (MPC) v6.4.9.0.

I burnt the video file on a CD and tried to open the same file to another laptop with the SAME version of MPC and it threw an error "this avi file was not prepared for sequential reading, the alternative 'Avi Splitter' will now let the default one handle it" after which there is a large delay of upto a minute before it starts playing the file and then it hangs after a few seconds.

I then copied the MPC executable from the working laptop to this other laptop and still got the same error!!

I then thought there was something wrogn with the DVD i burnt and used another DVD with the same result. I then tried to access the video file over the netowkr from the working laptop and tried to play on the second laptop--- still the same error.

I am very confused as to what is causing this. I am at my wit's end in finding a resolution to this issue.

Please help!!

2. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

The issue is that the settings for the laptop that is not working are not the same as for the one working. You have to go into Options and look for the Internal Filters area and uncheck the AVI option. Next you would need the same codecs you have on the first laptop and apply those to the second laptop.

It should work normally after the first step, but continue with the second step just in case. I recommend getting FFDShow as for playing back most AVI files.

3. ogstylin

ogstylin Member

I have a related issue.

I have an AVI file that I downloaded, played it with the same MPC version but for Windows ME OS, and it gave me the same "sequential reading" message. I guess someone encoded it that way, in any case it does play like the rest of my AVI files but heres the thing..

I want to convert it to MPEG so I can put it to CDR as I've already done with other files.

I already tried burning it as mentioned [to MPEG so its a VCD to my DVD player], but the audio is messed up, it has a constant skip throughout. I had a thought that maybe I needed to 'reinterleave' like it said, with some sort of software but I dont know what.