1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 1080p PIP

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by plascebo, Oct 5, 2007.

1. plascebo

plascebo Member

Hi all,

Recently purchased a Samsung 40" 1080p and am very happy with the purchase. My only gripe is that the PIP which it is advertised as having doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?
    Also, am looking to link my laptop to the TV in order to watch streatming movies etc. Has anyone got some tips on how to get the best picture out of this, and also what cables I need?

Cheers.

2. david66

david66 Regular member

read the manual that came with the tv if that does not help contact Samsung

3. plascebo

plascebo Member

Hi david66,

Read the manual which simply states press the PIP button on the remote and you should have PIP (didn't happen) and contacted Samsung via e-mail which was a complete waste of time, they just sent a mail back, as follows:

"We apologize to you for replying to your mail in this late day.

nWe recommend you to contact our office in your region.

nThey will help you out.

nYou can find their address from our site by selecting your region on the map,
    nhttp://www.samsung.com/Support/SalesLocations/index.htm

nhttp://www.samsung.com/Support/ServiceLocations/index.htm

nHave a nice day! "

As you can see, not very helpful at all!!

4. elperra

elperra Member

I have the same tv too and the same problem pip does not work.

5. donewell

donewell Regular member

I have the same TV also. You need another tuner to get the pip! You can use the tuner in your vcr or dvd recorder if it has one. But if you want HD you need a HD tuner. As for the cables that is explained in the book, as is the need for a seperate tuner. Good Luck, I got mine working!!

6. plascebo

plascebo Member

Thanks Donewell,

Will give it a try with the pip, have a dvd recorder with tuner linked up to it, but had to take the ntl cable out of the back of dvd rec and link it straight to the tv cos the reception was really bad, so now have the sky box linked to dvd rec and that linked to the tv, so might give it a try with ntl linked back to dvd rec.
    As for linking it to the pc, have ordered a VGA cable, so fingers crossed, the manual scared me with the amount of detail it went into to connect the PC but will give it a shot :)

Cheeers.

7. plascebo

plascebo Member

Have tried and tried and all to no avail, the manual is of no help watsoever, it just assumes your pip will work from the getgo. Even when I connect my dvd recorder with tuner it won't work? And as for the cable to connect a laptop, the only information the manual gives you is that you need a d-sub cable, there are so many variations of them?

8. plascebo

plascebo Member

Anyone out there have the serial no./type of cable I need to connect my laptop to a Samsung 1080p LCD? And also where I am going wrong trying to get the PIP activated on the tv? How do I use the tuner from my dvd recorder to get PIP?
    Any help appreciated.

9. Obike

Obike Member

Hello I have the 46"1080p tv the pip does work if you do it from a different souce eg if your are playing games on your pc through the tv u can use pip to watch tv in the corner however pip doesnt work the other way round you cannot watch tv and have the pc in pip. You also cant have one channel and have another channel in pip as there is only one tv tuner in the tv. i found this very frustrating as it would have been cool to be able to see what goin on on my pc whilst watching tv.

I hope this helps

10. plascebo

plascebo Member

Obike,

Thanks a mill, could you tell me what cable you needed to connect your pc to the tv. And also, did you try the PIP with a video or dvd recorder tuned into the tv (heard you can get pip through the separate tuner on the video/dvd recorder)?

Cheers.

11. jicam1

jicam1 Member

Hi Placebo

I am on my 3rd Samsung R88 40" LCD and it is going back but at least I can help with the PIP.
    To get it to work you need to connect the TV to your home theatre system via an HDMI cable, then you can get PIP when you are watching a DVD. If you push PIP while watching a DVD a DTV channel will come up but with no sound. It is a bit of a con as it does not let you get 2 TV channels in PIP mode. You need 2 tuners for this and Samsungs don't have that facility. LG models do though.
    Hope this helps.

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

My Samsung is a 32" R41 series (it's still very sexy though!) and i'll share what little i know about the PIP..

My PIP doesn't work with Digital TV mode or PC mode which basically means i have very little use for PIP on the R41; however my girlfriend's 19" Samsung SM940MW does let you use PIP for PC mode. Works very well indeed, she uses it alongside the digital TV channels (via a set top box as this TV annoyingly doesn't have DTV built-in).
    Seems different Samsung's have different PIP uses (or lack of). Most annoying..

I have used my laptop via the R41's PC connection and it's pretty clear, i just use bog standard cables from KVM switches for this..

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  13. plascebo

plascebo Member

AT last,

I bit the bullet over the weekend and bought a ps3 and a HDMI cable and low and behold the pip worked with the ps3 attached though the hdmi. What a waste of time, all it shows is the tv channel with no sound, can't even change the channel in the tiny box!!

Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated.