1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 212B won't recognize CDs at all.

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Whitley, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Whitley

Whitley Member

Dependable CD burner suddenly won't recognize any CD blank or otherwise. Explorer window just shows up blank. DVDINFOPRO program says"No Media Present". Worked fine until I did the following.

Added a DVD burner. Master/Slave arrangement. Installed EZ Creator 6.0 (Roxio). Had tons of problems and ended up removing it. Installed Nero and after a flash update for DVD drive (8DVD RW IDE 1008), it worked. I do not know when it stopped working.

It appears to still have the original P000 flash. Have downloaded new driver files for drive. Have tried Master or Slave or no jumpers by itself. I am really at a loss.

What am I missing? I am very computer literate. Don't make it too simple. I have to look at myself in the mirror once in a while!!!!! THANKS

Win XP, Emachines 1.0 Gig, 256 mem, tryed another cable!...

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hey buddy,

So it seems the firmware flash didn't take?

What make/model is the burner?

3. Whitley

Whitley Member

Sorry, I gave too much info too fast. The Samsung drive that doens't read CD's any more is the OLD one. It has worked great for months! I wanted to keep it active to have 2 units for data disc copying. It writes and reads CD's only.

The NEW drive was the one I just flashed, which was the 8DVDRW IDE 1008. The flash procedure was specifically for that drive. It writes DVD's & CD's.

The Firmware info on the Samsung (old unit) reads P000, which apparently is right, according to Samsung specs. I am assuming that the flashing procedure for the new unit didn't somehow effect this old one. I don't know at what point this old one stopped sensing discs at all!!!! Windows Explorer shows this device as if there's no disc in it at all. When I insert a disc, for a moment the green light burns on the drive like its reading it. But nothing shows up on the screen at all. If I put an installation disc in it, nothing happens on the computer (no autostart or anything).

When I use a program called DVDINFOPRO and select info about the Samsung drive itself, it says "READY", which means its ready to read or write. When I select the Media Info, is says that "No Media Is Present." So it verifies that it doesn't see a CD thats in it at all!

4. Nephilim

When an otherwise functional drive stops recognizing media it may be an ASPI problem. ASPI is a driver layer that sits between your drive and software. ForceASPI is a good one so here's a link to the download and instructions:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101614

Let us know if this does the trick and if not we'll go from there :)

5. Whitley

Whitley Member

I had already tried ASPI 17 to solve another problem. So, I rolled back to the original ASPI just to make sure it wasn't some bug or problem. Didn't fix it. So, I downloaded ASPI 18 and tried that. No fix.

Is there anyway the flashing for the other drive, even though very specific, caused a problem with this other drive?

When removing drives from my computer, I always had the unit turned off and had my hands all over the case/frame. I don't see any way I accidentally caused static electric. The cables would have been undone anyway!

Might I reflash the drive if I can find firmware for it...

6. Nephilim

I've never heard of that happening but I imagine it might be possible.

Optical drives aren't as succeptible to static as other components so you should be safe there.

I don't see why not :)