1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 50" Plasma HDTV 1080p

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by TexasDude, Jun 22, 2007.

1. TexasDude

TexasDude Member

I just bought a Samsung 50" Plasma HDTV 1080p and I am brand new to the HD side of TV. I haven't even gotten the TV delivered yet. I was wondering, if I play Blu-Ray movies at 720p (or i, whatever the other formats are) are they going to look like crap? Cause if the only movies/games that are going to look good are 1080p, then maybe I should return this tv and get a "less powerful" TV?

2. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

both blu-ray and HD DVD movies are in 1080p, so they will look good. as for DVDs, you probabaly want to get a player that upscales to 1080p for that TV.

and if you do return it for something else, dont get a Samsung.

3. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

@TexasDude: You said in another thread that you have a new PS3. If you upgrade the software to the latest version (1.81 AFAIK) then your PS3 will be able to upconvert regular DVD's to 1080p. Just right for your plasma. For BluRay discs just set the video ouput to 1080p and you're all set.

4. TexasDude

TexasDude Member

5. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

oh Panasonic is good.

i think i started a thread here on how everyone should BOYCOTT samsung TVs. but bascailly here is the outline:

Samsung thinks it's rolling with the big boys now in terms to HDTV. It use to be the cheap 3rd party brand that undercut the bigger brands like Sharp, Sony, Pioneer. Now it's jacked up it's prices. But yet, in terms of quality, it's still Shit. Sharp, Sony, Philips... have reason why they are the leader in the market. A Brand like Samsung that use to be in the dirt shouldn't be considered a repectabke brand, just a cheap brand. But the probelm is: samsungs arent cheap anymore. they are going to be that way, dont buy them.

6. kg2

kg2 Member

what problems do you notice with a samsung that you don't with the "higher brands?" doesn't samsung use the same components as sony? anyways, just curious since i'm looking for a tv for my father.

and so as not to thread hijack... personally i would get a 720p screen for a 50" because i would have a hard time really appreciating the difference - i usually sit a good 5.5 feet away from the screen and i don't have 20/20 vision even with glasses, so i'd rather save the money. but if you're going to sit up close (as some gamers do) then go for the 1080p.

7. sjh24

sjh24 Member

I love Samsungs picture quality but do agree that they are pretty expensive.