1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samsung 616T into xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by clarky, Jun 20, 2004.

1. clarky

clarky Regular member

I am looking for a new xbox drive to replace my thommy (its not dead yet, but i have a sneaking suspicion it is slowly on its way out)

I have been searching e-bay and have seen this drive

[​IMG]

Does anyone know what improvements this drive has over the 'normal' xbox samsung drive? apparently it has 16x read speed for dvd's. Will this make a noticeable improvement?

And how hard is it to put it into the xbox?

Will the xbox still play my origional games fine with this pc drive fitted?

Thanks for any help you can give me guys. I am just trying to decide whether to get the normal samsung xbox drive or this one.

2. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

pc dvd rom drives cant read xbox games as they are written backwards.

3. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

ah but aparently u can do a bit of soldering with a pc drive (only certain ones) and they work with originals :S ive read it somewhere

4. clubfalco

clubfalco Member

i recently modded and installed a samsung 616t and i dont have to worry about it dying now. also i havent noticed a change in speed, but i think that is because you have to change the bios on the new drive to that of the samsung 605(the real original xbox drive). and to make it read backwards you have to take it apart and desolder the motor and turn it around. i dont recommend modding it yourself i you dont know what your doing, and it doesnt sound like you do..good luck
    oh yeah a bonus with this one is that it can read cd-rs.

falco

5. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

best thing i think is when u want to use originals, just plug it back in and disconnect the new one. and even backup all your originals to dvd-r so you can keep that in. unless u use xbox live that is ;)