1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Drives not recognising some DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kevincal, Apr 22, 2005.

1. kevincal

kevincal Member

I have just noticed & don't know if this has always been the case but my Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352b will not recognise some of my DVD's.

It recognises commercial discs & discs that I have burnt using Nero on 2x speed DVD-RW Verbatim.
    It will not recognise any 4x discs that I have tried.
    I have tried Ritek 4x DVD-r and also -RW.
    Is this normal? The drive is supposed to be multi read all CD,DVD formats and up to 16x DVD-ROM.
    Any comments or explanations would be appreciated.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

My first guess would be a firmware issue. After doing a google search for your burner,I couldn't find anything.

The firmware is the built-in programming for your dvd burner. It tells you burner what mfg code of media that it will burn and how fast it can be burned. By that media not being recognized,an update should be performed.

You'll want to know your exact burner model and present firmware version. Use this free handy program,it will tell you this and a whole lot more: http://www.dvdinfopro.com

I haven't read anything about samsung burners,so maybe another member may have one and add some info for us.

3. kevincal

kevincal Member

Thanks for you response Saugmon.

My first thought also was firmware.

The combo drive was purchased about 6 months ago & came with firmware T808. The latest on the Samsung site was T806 but I was able to dig up a site that had T809 which dealt with Xerox DVD -R issue.

Unfortunately no change after installing T809.

Can't seem to find a suitable spot on the Samsung site to report the issue.
    Any other comments would be appreciated as it makes it very difficult to copy my own -RW x4's to my Pioneer 109.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I don't know if I can help you much,but you may consider a separate dvd-rom drive like a lite-on 167t. It does a better job at ripping. I do a lot of reripping my backups on the fly at 100% success rate.It'll also save you wear and tear on your pioneer. That samsung may have a bad rom in it,or it could be dirty. You can try cleaning it,couldn't hurt.It could also have a weak laser like I ran into:

Here's something that happened to me,and could be your issue also: In february,I bought an I/O magic 16x at staples for $40.My main pc has the I/O magic 16x burner,and bought it at the same store in november for $40 at Staples.That burner in my main pc was built by Benq 1620. The one I bought in feb,05-was built by empa. My lite-on dvd-rom and my benq-I/O would not recognize that burner's + format backups.It could read the dash from it. The overall compatability of that new I/O burner totally sucked. My last benq 1620 took care of that compatability issue and total compatability on both pc's.

They say you can get one at newegg.com for around $20 or so. Re-ripping dvd rw's, I haven't tried it. I bought my litey at walmart for $40 and it was well worth it.Just something to consider.

5. kevincal

kevincal Member

As I have yet to solve this problem I have made some interesting observations.

1. The discs in question are recognised by DVD Decripter and also will play if selected in Nero Showtime on this player.

2. Windows Explorer will not recognise the disc.

3. In explorer the drive is labled DVD/CD-RW Drive(F:)

4. When the disc in question is placed into the drive the designation changes to CD Drive(F:)

5. If you select the drive it come up with the error
    Disk is not formatted
    Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk may be
    corrupted or it is using a format that is not compatable
    with windows.

I can't remember how to read the media type I saw it somewhere, but I have forgotten how to read it.

Any clues?

6. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Hi guy I have a Samsung no probs, T809 is the latest firmware for that burner accordinb to the CD Freaks forums.

regards gringle.