1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung DVD-R120 recorder digital tuner?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by paris7usa, Jun 22, 2009.

1. paris7usa

paris7usa Member

Does anyone know if the Samsung DVD-R120 recorder/player has a digital tuner?

Since the DTV conversion my Samsung DVD-R120 is not transmitting digital signals properly to the normal TV viewing source of my Samsung digital TV NOR to the component source which is the recording source. Thus I cannot record programming. However, the DVD unit is playing recorded discs properly on the component source.

Upon advice by telephone from customer support, I unplugged the DVD unit’s power cord, pressed and held the power button for several seconds, then waited about 10 minutes and plugged the power cord back in. Then I went through the setup, which included channel search. The unit found no local channels, except for two channels which are broadcasting continuous programming about how to hook up DTV converter boxes. I’m guessing that this programming is being transmitted by analog signal.

Is my problem because I’m feeding a digital antenna signal through a DVD unit that doesn’t have a digital tuner, which is then scrambling the signal so that my digital TV can’t receive it? Likewise, is the lack of a digital tuner the reason my DVD unit cannot locate digital channels in my area?

2. dailun

dailun Active member

According to the manual (specifications, page 88), it only has a standard NTSC tuner.

Receivable Channels
    Regular TV broadcasting: VHF (2~13), UHF (14~69)
    Cable TV broadcasting: 1~125

You need a converter box.

3. paris7usa

paris7usa Member

Thanks. I found this out from Samsung eventually. I had checked the specifications in my manual before asking the question on ths forum. Interstingly, my manual's specifications, which are on a different page than yours, specifiy the channel information you gave, but say nothing about any kind of tuner.

4. dailun

dailun Active member

Receivable Channels
    Regular TV broadcasting: VHF (2~13), UHF (14~69)
    Cable TV broadcasting: 1~125

These are the specifications of an NTSC (analog) tuner. That is what "tells" you that it's an NTSC tuner.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009