1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samsung ht-tz215 no optical sound

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by shaunclemo1971, Feb 12, 2012.

1. shaunclemo1971

shaunclemo1971 Member

hi there

i have a samsung home cinema system ht-tz215 for some reason when i connect my optical cable from my sky hd+ box optical to the samsung cinema system optical and select digital in on the aux menu there is no sound at all, the speakers are all working as if i use the system to watch a dvd the sound all works, but with the system on and the tv on sky the minute i press the digital in button to have sky sound going through the speakers the sound dies almost like you have muted it, anybody got any ideas whats happening , not used the speakers for sky in ages but has worked in the past, any help would be appreciated, thanks shaun

2. cactikid

cactikid Active member

dont know if those sockets work,mine works with the hdmi going into my amp from the sky+hd box and another hdmi for tv.there are a number of things not accessible for us.

3. JVC

JVC Active member

Did you go into the setup menus of the cable/sat box, and set the audio output for Dolby Digital? You may also have to assign the input you plugged the optical into, to "Cable/DBS". You know to push the Cable/DBS button, instead of the TV button, right?
    Just making sure.........

4. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Seems this guy has figured it out since he's left the thread 2 weeks ago. In that case, i'm hijacking it for my own doubt.

This is what's going on, since i moved in, i had my Denon 1906 running only my front floorstanders and the center speaker. I had the receiver setup to only 3 speakers and this is what's connected:

TV: Optical 1
    PS3: Optical 2
    Sky box: RCA
    2nd satellite box: RCA

I also have an old dvd player connected to it through a cheap rca cable.

Yesterday i fitted the other 4 speakers and updated the speaker setup to the new arrangement.
    Now here's the problem:
    The PS3's "Sound Settings-Audio Output Settings" is set to "Optical Digital", it hasn't got 7.1, so i have it set up to whatever i can. (basically, ticked all boxes)
    I also turned "Audio Multi-Output" to ON since i also use the TV's sound when my kids are watching their cartoons.

The problem is, i can only get the sound from the TV,(downscaled to 2ch) i can't get the one from the PS3.(5.1 dts)

Here's the troubleshooting i done:

-I have tried plugging it to the front optical plug (V-AUX) and it works fine. I get the sound from the PS3 and you can clearly feel the difference. At the same time, changing the setting to AUX, you can hear the 2ch sound off the TV.

-Unplugged the TV Opt cable to narrow the inputs, (since these 2 come through automatically through AUX) still no sound. With just the TV Opt in, i get the 2ch sound.

-Changed the opt-1 and opt-2, the TV sound changed route, the PS3 sound is still not working.

-Changed the PS3's "Audio Multi-Output" to OFF. Got no sound at all.

I have the feeling it must be something to do with the AUX automatically choosing Opt-1/Opt-2, but i don't think you can actually do it manually... Any ideas on where i can be going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

5. JVC

JVC Active member

The ps3 audio output should be set to "Bitstream" for 5.1 surround from dvds. Also, you are going straight to the receiver, and not through the tv first, right? Going through tv first won't give you 5.1 surround, 99.9% of the time. It downmixes to 2.0 for that.

7.1 is only available from blu ray movies, and not possible over optical connection. You can set the receiver to Dolby Pro Logic IIx, and get simulated 7.1 surround.

6. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

I have the ps3 connected to the receiver through opt-2 and to the tv via hdmi. Then i had the tv connected to the receiver as well through opt-1. I understand the tv will change the setup to 2ch hence me using the multi connection on the ps3 for sound on the tv as well as the system. I guess the receiver was mixing up the channels...

What i done now was digging out one of my monster rca cables and connected the tv to the receiver using these rather than connect both optical plugs with what is basically the same "sound". It's working now, but i can only get the ps3 sound on the receiver and not on the telly.

I have a new tv coming next week as my plasma is getting a bit on after 6 years of heavy usage, (getting a lot of green fuzz when i first start it) let's see what sort of decoder it brings with it.

thanks for the help JVC, never thought i'd hear from one of the old school boys. :p

7. JVC

JVC Active member

If sound is coming from the receiver and speakers, you shouldn't want sound from the tv too. It probably won't sync together anyway. Use one or the other, not both.