1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung ms25 and ms28 wont read certain games

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by clarifyphoenix, Jan 30, 2011.

1. clarifyphoenix

clarifyphoenix Member

Alright guys here is the story. I ran into 3 XBOX 360s that needed repair. 2 of the 3 needed the xclamps replaced to fix 3 rrod. That was done no problem. The third seemingly had no problems at all.

I typically use tiger woods 2010 (retail copy) to stress test the xboxs seeing as it is pretty scratched up but will still play fine. Tiger worked on all 3 of the xboxs just fine. The dvd drives have not been modified in any way.

I now start trying to play black ops and i get the dreaded play dvd error.

Long story short black ops will only read about 2/3rds of the time and i just cant sell an xbox that works only two thirds of the time. Weird thing is that every other game has no problems playing whatsoever.

I thought it was the copy of black ops but it is brand new and works perfectly fine on other xboxs.

So i thought well I would tweak the DVD pots. I follow the tutorials to the letter. Adjusting them slowly but surely but every time i got the same results. Would only play two thirds of the time.

If i didnt get the play dvd error the game would have no problems playing whatsoever except being a tiny choppy loading the initial screen.

So the pot fix didnt work.

I order a replacement laser off of ebay (hd67 to be specific) and desolder the anti static point using soldering braid/wick whatever you want to call it. Easy enough right?

Still the same thing. Will only read black ops about 2/3rds of the time. I thought the ribbon wire looked a little bent going from the pcb to the laser so i replaced it too.

Applied the pot tweak to the new laser.. Same thing.

Do these old dvd drive just not like to read new games? Do i just need to replace the whole dvd drive? Does treyarch use cheap disks? Did the xclamp replacement somehow effect how the DVD drive is reading disks? Is there another component that needs to be replaced that im missing?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

2. b1gh3ad

b1gh3ad Regular member

is your black ops patched with the ap2.5 data?